8.1.5 installation problem with initdb on WinXP Home

From
adurrant@cogeco.ca
Date:
Hi,

I apologize for being yet another noob posting about this problem.  I have spent 2 days searching the archives and the
net for a solution to no avail.  Hence my post here.

The problem I am having is on install of 8.1.5 it fails at the initdb call.  In checking the log, it seems to fail when
it creates the first data directory.  It gets past the setting file permissions, but when it tries to create
data/global
it spits out an error message saying that "C:\Program Files" cannot be created.  File exists.  (Please excuse the
fragmented message, I'm going off memory here).  Of course at this point it rolls back the install.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  I would truly appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Alex.

Re: 8.1.5 installation problem with initdb on WinXP Home

From
"Anton Melser"
Date:
Someone posted a solution to this in the last couple of days on this
list. Have a good look...
Cheers
Antoine

On 30/11/06, adurrant@cogeco.ca <adurrant@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize for being yet another noob posting about this problem.  I have spent 2 days searching the archives and
the
> net for a solution to no avail.  Hence my post here.
>
> The problem I am having is on install of 8.1.5 it fails at the initdb call.  In checking the log, it seems to fail
when
> it creates the first data directory.  It gets past the setting file permissions, but when it tries to create
data/global
> it spits out an error message saying that "C:\Program Files" cannot be created.  File exists.  (Please excuse the
> fragmented message, I'm going off memory here).  Of course at this point it rolls back the install.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  I would truly appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks.
> Alex.

>        match

Re: 8.1.5 installation problem with initdb on WinXP Home

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> > The problem I am having is on install of 8.1.5 it fails at the initdb call.  In checking the log, it seems to fail
when
> > it creates the first data directory.  It gets past the setting file permissions, but when it tries to create
data/global
> > it spits out an error message saying that "C:\Program Files" cannot be created.  File exists.  (Please excuse the
> > fragmented message, I'm going off memory here).  Of course at this point it rolls back the install.
> >
> > Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  I would truly appreciate any help.

If I remember correctly from the previous messages, you need to grant
rights on the C:\ drive to the user that is going to create the files.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/