Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From
Enrico
Date:
HI,
I wish I optimize a kernel FreeBSD 6.1 on a server with only postgres
installed.
Where can I have any info about?

Thanks in advantage.
Enrico

--
If Bill Gates had a penny for everytime Windows crashed,he'd be a multi-billionaire by now .......oh look, he already
is!!!!

Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> HI,
> I wish I optimize a kernel FreeBSD 6.1 on a server with only postgres
> installed.
> Where can I have any info about?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

It appears as if English is not your primary language, is it Italian?
The FreeBSD handbook has been translated to Italian if that will make
things easier for you:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

Date:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Hi Bill
I already read your link and it is not specific for Postgres, I'm searching for a
more specific document.

Regards,
Enrico

--
If Bill Gates had a penny for everytime Windows crashed,he'd be a multi-billionaire by now .......oh look, he already
is!!!!
scotty@linuxtime.it - Skype:sscotty71
http://www.linuxtime.it/enricopirozzi

Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From
Alban Hertroys
Enrico wrote:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
>>

> Hi Bill
> I already read your link and it is not specific for Postgres, I'm searching for a
> more specific document.

You'll probably want a lot of shared memory, but you can set that using
sysctls.
If you're on a multi-cpu system, you'll want SMP.
If you're on a hyperthreading machine, you'll have to choose whether you
want that on or off (don't know what's best for PostgreSQL).
If you're on a 32-bit platform with lots of RAM, you may need PAE.
Other than that, I really wouldn't know.

What kind of kernel options do you expect to have any impact on database
performance?

You could build a couple of different kernels with different configs and
see what works best for you. I suppose hyper-threading or not and PAE or
not are the best candidates for experimentation.

I know there're quite a few FreeBSD users among the people here and I've
always kinda disliked system administration, so I suspect I'm not the
best candidate for answering your question :P
--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl

magproductions b.v.

T: ++31(0)534346874
F: ++31(0)534346876
M:
I: www.magproductions.nl
A: Postbus 416
   7500 AK Enschede

// Integrate Your World //

Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From
Walter Vaughan
Enrico wrote:

> HI,
> I wish I optimize a kernel FreeBSD 6.1 on a server with only postgres
> installed.
> Where can I have any info about?

Opimizing the FreeBSD kernel?

Obviouly you want to start with a machine with a much memory as you can afford,
as fast a disk subsystem you can afford, and as powerful a CPU you can afford.
Then rip a boot only CD, and do a minimal install with the ports collection.

FreeBSD 6.1 is pretty optimized already, and it will adapt. Have you followed
the directions for building a custom kernel?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
Don't include hardware you don't have is obvious to strip from the GENERIC
kernel configuration file, and make build for SMP if you have real dual cores or
processors if you have them (a single CPU with hyperthreading most likely will
not run as fast under an SMP kernel).

As far as any other tweeking, follow the directions here and don't do anything
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/vm-tuning.html

Then as root user
cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql81-server/ && make install clean
and enjoy your posgreSQL/freeBSD server.

--
Walter

Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From
Shane Ambler
Date:
Bill Moran wrote:

>> HI,
>> I wish I optimize a kernel FreeBSD 6.1 on a server with only postgres
>> installed.
>> Where can I have any info about?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
>
> It appears as if English is not your primary language, is it Italian?
> The FreeBSD handbook has been translated to Italian if that will make
> things easier for you:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Also something more PostgreSQL specific -

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/kernel-resources.html

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-performance/2004-January/000634.html

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@007Marketing.com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From
Enrico

> Obviouly you want to start with a machine with a much memory as you can afford,
> as fast a disk subsystem you can afford, and as powerful a CPU you can afford.
> Then rip a boot only CD, and do a minimal install with the ports collection.

Done

> FreeBSD 6.1 is pretty optimized already, and it will adapt. Have you followed
> the directions for building a custom kernel?

Yes.

> Don't include hardware you don't have is obvious to strip from the GENERIC
> kernel configuration file, and make build for SMP if you have real dual cores or
> processors if you have them (a single CPU with hyperthreading most likely will
> not run as fast under an SMP kernel).

Done

> As far as any other tweeking, follow the directions here and don't do anything
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/vm-tuning.html

Ok
Thanks a lot

Enrico

--
If Bill Gates had a penny for everytime Windows crashed,he'd be a multi-billionaire by now .......oh look, he already
is!!!!
scotty@linuxtime.it - Skype:sscotty71
http://www.linuxtime.it/enricopirozzi

Re: Stripping kernel FreeBSD - postgres

From
Vivek Khera
Date:
On Nov 30, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Enrico wrote:

> I already read your link and it is not specific for Postgres, I'm
> searching for a
> more specific document.

Just remove any devices you don't have on your machine, and remove
any "extras" like linux compat, older version compat, etc.  You
probably also want to disable kernel module loading (and not build
any modules).

... but the kernel is demand paged so it won't really load up the
code that's not used.

Personally I have a pseudo-custom configuration that covers all of my
various machines and removes devices and modules I don't need.  I
load up USB on computers that have only USB keyboards as a module for
example.

You should spend more time tuning postgres itself.

Attachment