more on database design

From
Desmond Coughlan

Hi,
Almost finished this database .. anyone able to take a glance at this, and tell me if with the ALTER TABLE statements at the bottom, I'm giving myself more work than necessary?

Once it's over, I can concentrate on learning enough PhP to get a search page going.  :)

Thanks.

D.

Re: more on database design

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 04:18, Desmond Coughlan wrote:

> Hi,
> Almost finished this database .. anyone able to take a glance at this,
> and tell me if with the ALTER TABLE statements at the bottom, I'm
> giving myself more work than necessary?
>
> http://www.chez.com/desmondcoughlan/unix/bibliotheque.sql
>
> Once it's over, I can concentrate on learning enough PhP to get a
> search page going.  :)

Just looks like you're doing it the hard way.

Most tables you can do something like:

create table abc (field1 int primary key, field2 not null references
someothertable(id));

i.e. do it at once.

But it's not a big deal.