Does PostgreSQL support multi-instancing?

From
"Bill"
Date:
Is is possible to have two different versions of PostgreSQL running on
the same computer at the same time?

--
.Bill.

Re: Does PostgreSQL support multi-instancing?

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> Is is possible to have two different versions of PostgreSQL running on
> the same computer at the same time?

Yes, we have one server here that's doing it.  It's neither easy nor
difficult to set up ... it's somewhere in between ...

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader
ofthis message is not an intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this message to an
intendedrecipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is
prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this
e-mailfrom your system.

Re: Does PostgreSQL support multi-instancing?

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Nov 8, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Bill wrote:

> Is is possible to have two different versions of PostgreSQL running on
> the same computer at the same time?

Yes. Works just fine. You might end up with some fun with
applications finding the client libraries (generally better
to let them all find the new libraries, even when you're
expecting them to talk to the older server, I think) but
apart from that running different versions on different
ports seems to just work.

If you use some sort of binary package to install, rather
than installing from source all bets are off, and it likely
won't work, but that's just a packaging limitation.

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Does PostgreSQL support multi-instancing?

From
Steve Crawford
Bill wrote:
> Is is possible to have two different versions of PostgreSQL running on
> the same computer at the same time?

It's easy to have two *instances* of postgresql running - they just need
to have their own data directories and be configured to not conflict
with each other (ie. listen on different ports).

Having two purely separate versions should be doable but more tricky as
you will have to build them in such a way each will see its own version
of certain libraries. Perhaps using static linking would deal with this
issue - I'll let someone else chime in on that. You will still, of
course, need to use different ports and data directories.

You could, if you prefer, set up multiple virtual servers on the same
computer and run each copy of PG on its own virtual server.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Does PostgreSQL support multi-instancing?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
After a long battle with technology, "Bill" <postgresql@dbginc.com>, an earthling, wrote:
> Is is possible to have two different versions of PostgreSQL running on
> the same computer at the same time?

Certainly.

You need separate binaries, separate data directories, separate port
configuration.

If you're up to compiling PostgreSQL from source, it's quite
straightforward to do this.  If not, you may find this sort of thing
somewhat more challenging...
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/nonrdbms.html