Alias for tables/columns?

From
Sandro Dentella
Date:
Hi,

   I'm migrating a system from php/mysql to django/postgresql. I'd like to
   change the names of columns and tables but I need to retain the old ones
   for compatibility issues (it must still work with the old interface).

   Is there any possibility to call a table or a column with different names
   -sort of a symbolic link?

   Thanks in advance
   sandro
   *:-)

--
Sandro Dentella  *:-)
http://www.tksql.org                    TkSQL Home page - My GPL work

Re: Alias for tables/columns?

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Sandro Dentella wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm migrating a system from php/mysql to django/postgresql. I'd like to
>    change the names of columns and tables but I need to retain the old ones
>    for compatibility issues (it must still work with the old interface).
>
>    Is there any possibility to call a table or a column with different names
>    -sort of a symbolic link?

Read up on views in the manuals.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Alias for tables/columns?

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Mon, dem 06.11.2006, um 11:45:28 +0100 mailte Sandro Dentella folgendes:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm migrating a system from php/mysql to django/postgresql. I'd like to
>    change the names of columns and tables but I need to retain the old ones
>    for compatibility issues (it must still work with the old interface).
>
>    Is there any possibility to call a table or a column with different names
>    -sort of a symbolic link?

Yes, you can create VIEWS.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47215,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

Re: Alias for tables/columns?

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Mon, dem 06.11.2006, um 12:16:08 +0100 mailte Sandro Dentella folgendes:
> > >    Is there any possibility to call a table or a column with different names
> > >    -sort of a symbolic link?
> >
> > Yes, you can create VIEWS.
>
> I think I cannot UPDATE or INSERT into a view, is that correct? I think I

Right, but you can create RULEs on this VIEW to do INSERTS and so on...
This works.

> read that 8.2 will make it possibible, is that correct?

IIRC no, because the patch from Bernd 'psoo' Helmle was rejected...
Wait for 8.3 ...

Andreas