opening a channel between two postgreSQL-servers?

From
stig erikson
Date:
Hi.
a handy thing in mysql is FEDERATED tables that allows one to open a channel from one MySQL-server to another
MySQL-server.
it helps a lot when writing stored procedures that transfer data to other servers. you can do the transfer without
any extarnal temporary files or external applications that read from one server and insert into another server.

Does PG have anything similar?
if yes, which chapter in the docs for 8.1 will tell me more?
no wars please. i just want to know if such a possibility exists in PG.

/stig

Re: opening a channel between two postgreSQL-servers?

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:12:00PM +0100, stig erikson wrote:
> a handy thing in mysql is FEDERATED tables that allows one to open a
> channel from one MySQL-server to another MySQL-server.
> it helps a lot when writing stored procedures that transfer data to other
> servers. you can do the transfer without
> any extarnal temporary files or external applications that read from one
> server and insert into another server.
>
> Does PG have anything similar?

Not in the stock installation but you can establish a connection
between one PostgreSQL server and another with contrib/dblink, or
with just about any other data source using David Fetter's dbi-link.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

PostgreSQL has several server-side languages such as PL/Perl,
PL/Python, PL/Tcl, PL/Ruby, PL/php, PL/Java, PL/R, etc.  In general
a server-side function written in one of those languages can do
anything a standalone application could do, such as connecting to
another database, even a different DBMS (you could connect from
PostgreSQL to MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, etc.).

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: opening a channel between two postgreSQL-servers?

From
Ben
Date:
I believe contrib/dblink may be what you're after...

Date:
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:12:00PM +0100, stig erikson wrote:
>> a handy thing in mysql is FEDERATED tables that allows one to open a
>> channel from one MySQL-server to another MySQL-server.
>> it helps a lot when writing stored procedures that transfer data to other
>> servers. you can do the transfer without
>> any extarnal temporary files or external applications that read from one
>> server and insert into another server.
>>
>> Does PG have anything similar?
>
> Not in the stock installation but you can establish a connection
> between one PostgreSQL server and another with contrib/dblink, or
> with just about any other data source using David Fetter's dbi-link.
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/
>
> PostgreSQL has several server-side languages such as PL/Perl,
> PL/Python, PL/Tcl, PL/Ruby, PL/php, PL/Java, PL/R, etc.  In general
> a server-side function written in one of those languages can do
> anything a standalone application could do, such as connecting to
> another database, even a different DBMS (you could connect from
> PostgreSQL to MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, etc.).

thank you Michel and Ben.