pg_dump question

From
Thomas Burns
Date:
Hi,

I would like to use pg_dump to backup a list of tables to one file,
but it looks like
the -t option only supports one file. So, pg_dump gives you the
option of backing
up and entire database or one file, but nothing in between.  Am I
missing something?
Is there a way to backup multiple tables (but not the whole database)?

Thanks,
Tom Burns

Re: pg_dump question

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Wed, dem 01.11.2006, um 13:50:58 -0800 mailte Thomas Burns folgendes:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use pg_dump to backup a list of tables to one file,
> but it looks like
> the -t option only supports one file. So, pg_dump gives you the
> option of backing
> up and entire database or one file, but nothing in between.  Am I
> missing something?
> Is there a way to backup multiple tables (but not the whole database)?

You can wait for 8.2, this version supports multiple -t - options.
Or you can concat several table-dumps to one big dump.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt:  Heynitz: 035242/47215,   D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)

Re: pg_dump question

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
A. Kretschmer wrote:
> am  Wed, dem 01.11.2006, um 13:50:58 -0800 mailte Thomas Burns folgendes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to use pg_dump to backup a list of tables to one file,
> > but it looks like
> > the -t option only supports one file. So, pg_dump gives you the
> > option of backing
> > up and entire database or one file, but nothing in between.  Am I
> > missing something?
> > Is there a way to backup multiple tables (but not the whole database)?
>
> You can wait for 8.2, this version supports multiple -t - options.
> Or you can concat several table-dumps to one big dump.

Note that the latter option does not guarantee that you get a consistent
dump.

Re: pg_dump question

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> schrieb:
> > > I would like to use pg_dump to backup a list of tables to one file,
> > > but it looks like
> > > the -t option only supports one file. So, pg_dump gives you the
> > > option of backing
> > > up and entire database or one file, but nothing in between.  Am I
> > > missing something?
> > > Is there a way to backup multiple tables (but not the whole database)?
> >
> > You can wait for 8.2, this version supports multiple -t - options.
> > Or you can concat several table-dumps to one big dump.
>
> Note that the latter option does not guarantee that you get a consistent
> dump.

Yes, of course. Ref. integrity, for instance. But i don't know, how 8.2
solve this problem. Can you explain this?

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)

Re: pg_dump question

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: pg_dump question

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Andreas Kretschmer wrote:

> > > You can wait for 8.2, this version supports multiple -t - options.
> > > Or you can concat several table-dumps to one big dump.
> >
> > Note that the latter option does not guarantee that you get a consistent
> > dump.
>
> Yes, of course. Ref. integrity, for instance. But i don't know, how 8.2
> solve this problem. Can you explain this?

It dumps all tables in a single SERIALIZABLE transaction.