PostGIS

From
Bob Pawley
Date:
Can anyone point me to an overview of PostGIS and how it is being used???

Bob Pawley

Re: PostGIS

From
"Woody Woodring"
Date:
Here is their web page:

I am probably not the best to answer how it is used because we use it just to allow index on spatial data (coordinates).  You may ask on the postgis mailing list.

Woody

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Bob Pawley
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:09 AM
To: Postgresql
Subject: [GENERAL] PostGIS

Can anyone point me to an overview of PostGIS and how it is being used???

Bob Pawley

Re: PostGIS

From
James Cradock
Date:
On Oct 19, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Bob Pawley wrote:

Can anyone point me to an overview of PostGIS and how it is being used???

Bob,

PostGIS provides extensions to PostgreSQL's procedural language and geometric data types so that it can store geo-referenced data, and so that you can query this data using geo-spatial coordinates.

Software like MapServer (web) and Qgis (desktop) use PostGIS to provide data in map applications.

The Refractions site already noted is a good start. The MapServer site is another:

Jim

-----

James Cradock, jcradock@me3.com

Re: PostGIS

From
"Sandeep Kumar Jakkaraju"

I use postgis to wipe my ASS ...
no good documentation ...

in what units is the result of distance(geometry,geometry)..
what is distance_sphere(geometry,geometry).. when u give same geometry as both parameters it gives a non-zero value ....

--
Sandeep Kumar Jakkaraju
WeBlog:

Re: PostGIS