Upgrading schemas

From
timasmith@hotmail.com
Date:
Hi,

I have an application using Postgresql with a large (100+) number of
tables.  Are there any free/open source tools that can ease the process
of updating the schema.

Specifically I would like to compare a source and a target, determine
the differences and the best way to update  the target to be equivalent
to the source - tables, columns, views, etc.

thanks

Re: Upgrading schemas

From
sualeh.fatehi@gmail.com
Date:
The free, open-source SchemaCrawler tool will compare the schema and
data. SchemaCrawler outputs details of your schema (tables, views,
procedures, and more) in a diff-able plain-text format (text, CSV, or
XHTML). SchemaCrawler can also output data (including CLOBs and BLOBs)
in the same plain-text formats. You can use a standard diff program to
diff the current output with a reference version of the output.
SchemaCrawler can be run either from the command line, or as an ant
task. A lot of examples are available with the download to help you get
started.

SchemaCrawler is free, open-source, cross-platform (operating system
and database) tool, written in Java, that is available at SourceForge:
http://schemacrawler.sourceforge.net/
You will need to provide a JDBC driver for your database. No other
third-party libraries are required.

Sualeh Fatehi.