PostgreSQL installed in non-standard Directory

From
Michelle Konzack
Date:
* Do not Cc: me, because I am on THIS list, if I write here      *
* Keine Cc: an mich, bin auf DIESER Liste wenn ich hier schreibe *

Hello *,

I have a Very big Server and a dedicated Database to is (Debian
Package Management, BTS, Dynamic Website).  Now I have the whole
Website (29 VHosts) installed on ONE partition.

Since I have no Internet access @home anymore, I want to install
my PostgreSQL in one of the patitions I have created.  To do this,
I want to compile it static, so that it does not need any system
libraries.

I need this, since the Hardisk (WD1500GD, SATA) will be installed
in an existing server of a friend with fast Internet connection.

So, how can I compile PostgreSQL 8.1 static?

(I need this for Apache and PHP5 too)

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: PostgreSQL installed in non-standard Directory

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 03:53:04PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Since I have no Internet access @home anymore, I want to install
> my PostgreSQL in one of the patitions I have created.  To do this,
> I want to compile it static, so that it does not need any system
> libraries.

<snip>

> So, how can I compile PostgreSQL 8.1 static?

Do you really want this? Compiling static is not straightforward, if
all the libraries actually exist in static form anyway.

Would it not be easier to install the system in a chroot, then you can
use all the normal system libs and standard install packages...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL installed in non-standard Directory

From
Michelle Konzack
Date:
Hi Martijn,

Am 2006-09-17 12:22:42, schrieb Martijn van Oosterhout:

> Do you really want this? Compiling static is not straightforward, if
> all the libraries actually exist in static form anyway.
>
> Would it not be easier to install the system in a chroot, then you can
> use all the normal system libs and standard install packages...

I will try it.  But sometimes I have gotten strange
results using chroots on foreign systems

(specialy if I must install 100 or more packages)