The Best Postgresql Load Balancing Solution

From
Najib Abi Fadel
Date:
Hi,

i was searching for a load balancing solution for postgres, I found some ready to use software like PGCluster, Slony, pgpool and others.

It would really be nice if someone knows which one is the best taking in consideration that i have an already running application that i need to load balance.

I would also like to know if someone has used Red Hat Cluster and GFS for implementing postgresql Load balancing solution. I have alreay used that for implementing a mail load balancing solution with 2 sendmail servers running on 2 different machines but sharing the same storage.

Thanks for any help.

Najib Abi Fadel
System Administrator
Saint-Joseph University

Re: The Best Postgresql Load Balancing Solution

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:01 AM, Najib Abi Fadel wrote:
> i was searching for a load balancing solution for postgres, I found
> some ready to use software like PGCluster, Slony, pgpool and others.
>
> It would really be nice if someone knows which one is the best
> taking in consideration that i have an already running application
> that i need to load balance.

It really depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve, as each
has it's own strengths and weaknesses. If you don't have time to
fully research the options, you might want to hire a consultant to
help you out (there's a big, fat list of consultants on the website).
--
Jim Nasby                                    jimn@enterprisedb.com