Differences lang with or without "u" example:pltcl and pltclu

From
SebaM
Date:
Hi all
I wonderring what could be differences beetwen languages with and
without "u" for example:
pltcl - pltclu
plperl - plperlu

Is anybodu know and could point me suitable link or something?

Kindly regards
Sebastian

Re: Differences lang with or without "u" example:pltcl

From
Chris
SebaM wrote:
> Hi all
> I wonderring what could be differences beetwen languages with and
> without "u" for example:
> pltcl - pltclu
> plperl - plperlu
>
> Is anybodu know and could point me suitable link or something?

It's "trusted" versus "untrusted" languages.

Trusted languages only work within the postgres environment.

Untrusted languages can include things or do things outside the postgres
environment.

This page is about pl/perl but the same idea applies to all the languages:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/plperl-trusted.html

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: Differences lang with or without "u" example:pltcl

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 22:56 +0200, SebaM wrote:
> Hi all
> I wonderring what could be differences beetwen languages with and
> without "u" for example:
> pltcl - pltclu
> plperl - plperlu

Languages with a "u" should be "untrusted" by PostgreSQL, because they
are free to do anything the language can do. For instance, in plperlu,
you can make socket connections, open files, and do all kinds of
dangerous things.

Languages without a "u" can be safely "trusted" by PostgreSQL, because
they are resricted to using a safe subset of the language's
functionality.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis