Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

I have been looking at the migration of Gborg lately. It looks like the
only two active projects on that site are Slony, and pljava. Libpqxx has
recently moved to their own Trac site.

I would like to suggest the following course of action.

1. We set a read only date of 12/31/06

This means that all login capability, register capability, mailing
lists, bug tracking, cvs etc... will be shut off. It will only be up for
reference.

2. We set a shut down date of 03/31/07

This means it is down, rm -rf, whatever it takes.

Why?

Because past performance on the migration of gborg to pgfoundry has
shown that it will not be done, regardless of who volunteers or who
*thinks* they have time to do it.

So what will this really take?

1. The respective project members need to register their projects with
pgfoundry.

2. The respective project members need to migrate their tickets if they
see fit.

3. The respective members need to register the email lists they want.

4. There needs to be communication between one project at a time to
arrange a cut-over of their mailing lists. We have the ability to import
mbox files into mailman so their mail archives will be preserved.

Question: How is CVS handled on Gborg? Do they have their own repos? If
so we can just move them to pgfoundry yes?

Except for the pending screaming and yelling... is there really anything
wrong with this? To cut a few things off at the pass:

I think it is completely reasonable that we ask fellow community members
to help in their own migration as this is a gratis service. I also think
if those members were asked, they would be happy to help.

I am willing to have Devrim and Darcy help with this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Dave Page"

> Question: How is CVS handled on Gborg? Do they have their own repos? If
> so we can just move them to pgfoundry yes?

Yes - rsync is our friend.

/D

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> Question: How is CVS handled on Gborg? Do they have their own repos? If
>> so we can just move them to pgfoundry yes?
>
> Yes - rsync is our friend.

Cool... so can you think of any other dependencies we are misisng?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Dave Page"

Not offhand - but then I only migrated 2 projects and in both cases we
only did the CVS repo.

/D

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> I have been looking at the migration of Gborg lately. It looks like the
>> only two active projects on that site are Slony, and pljava. Libpqxx has
>> recently moved to their own Trac site.
>
> There are definitely more than that.

? like? I am not saying you are wrong, but I didn't see much.

>> 1. We set a read only date of 12/31/06
>> 2. We set a shut down date of 03/31/07
>
> I don't have a problem per se with shutting down gborg, but there are some
> questions to answer/problems to resolve first:
>
> 1) Have the project maintainers been sent an email yet? (as promised
> multiple times)?

Well that is kind of the point of this whole thread. To solidify this
now and get it done (including communication with maintainers)

> 3) Is there a migration guide or documentation somewhere?

I think you missed my point. There is no migration, except the important
of the mbox files and moving of the cvs repo. All tickets etc... are the
responsibility of the project.

> 3) Is the pgfoundry machine stable and finished being moved/upgraded/etc.?

To my knowledge it has never moved but it is current stable.

> 4) Are we changing the subdomain or not? Speaking on my own behalf, this
> is important because if I port a project, hard-coded documentation URLs
> need to be changed as well.

I don't know what you mean?

> 5) Is subversion available? This is not a must, but a strong "nice to have"
> and having it would be a good indication that a) someone is actively working
> on the site, and b) someone is willing to help pgfoundry move forward
> in the future.

This is actually part of a thread I started on Gforge-admins. It will be
available, it just isn't yet.

Joshua D. Drake

> - --
> Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
> PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200608272100
> http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
In the last exciting episode, jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>
>>> I have been looking at the migration of Gborg lately. It looks like the
>>> only two active projects on that site are Slony, and pljava. Libpqxx has
>>> recently moved to their own Trac site.
>> There are definitely more than that.
>
> ? like? I am not saying you are wrong, but I didn't see much.
>

>>> 1. We set a read only date of 12/31/06
>>> 2. We set a shut down date of 03/31/07
>> I don't have a problem per se with shutting down gborg, but there
>> are some
>> questions to answer/problems to resolve first:
>> 1) Have the project maintainers been sent an email yet? (as promised
>> multiple times)?
>
> Well that is kind of the point of this whole thread. To solidify this
> now and get it done (including communication with maintainers)

Consider the Slony-I group "informed."  :-)

We're close to release of version 1.2; moving to pgFoundry is high on
the ToDo list after that, which is pretty compatible with a December
31st close date.

>> 3) Is there a migration guide or documentation somewhere?
>
> I think you missed my point. There is no migration, except the
> important of the mbox files and moving of the cvs repo. All tickets
> etc... are the responsibility of the project.

Right.  The ticketing system on pgFoundry is sufficiently more
sophisticated that it seems to me to make more sense to manually deal
with them...

>> 5) Is subversion available? This is not a must, but a strong "nice to have"
>> and having it would be a good indication that a) someone is actively working
>> on the site, and b) someone is willing to help pgfoundry move forward
>> in the future.
>
> This is actually part of a thread I started on Gforge-admins. It will
> be available, it just isn't yet.

We had been putting things off based on that not yet being available,
but that seemed to be a mistake.  It would be nice to have Subversion,
but I'm disinclined to hold my breath...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
On 27-Aug-06, at 11:47 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>> I have been looking at the migration of Gborg lately. It looks
>>> like the
>>> only two active projects on that site are Slony, and pljava.
>>> Libpqxx has
>>> recently moved to their own Trac site.
>> There are definitely more than that.
>
> ? like? I am not saying you are wrong, but I didn't see much.
How about jdbc ?

>>> 1. We set a read only date of 12/31/06
>>> 2. We set a shut down date of 03/31/07
>> I don't have a problem per se with shutting down gborg, but there
>> are some
>> questions to answer/problems to resolve first:
>> 1) Have the project maintainers been sent an email yet? (as promised
>> multiple times)?
>
> Well that is kind of the point of this whole thread. To solidify
> this now and get it done (including communication with maintainers)
Speaking as a maintainer I have not been contacted.

>> 3) Is there a migration guide or documentation somewhere?
>
> I think you missed my point. There is no migration, except the
> important of the mbox files and moving of the cvs repo. All tickets
> etc... are the responsibility of the project.
>
>> 3) Is the pgfoundry machine stable and finished being moved/
>> upgraded/etc.?
>
> To my knowledge it has never moved but it is current stable.
>
>> 4) Are we changing the subdomain or not? Speaking on my own
>> behalf, this
>> is important because if I port a project, hard-coded documentation
>> URLs
>> need to be changed as well.
>
> I don't know what you mean?
>
>> 5) Is subversion available? This is not a must, but a strong "nice
>> to have"
>> and having it would be a good indication that a) someone is
>> actively working
>> on the site, and b) someone is willing to help pgfoundry move forward
>> in the future.
>
> This is actually part of a thread I started on Gforge-admins. It
> will be available, it just isn't yet.
>

> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> - --
>> Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
>> PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200608272100
>> http://biglumber.com/x/web?
>> pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8
>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>

> --
>
>    === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>              http://www.commandprompt.com/
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

O.k. so how about a phased approach?

1. Contact maintainers to create their new projects on pgfoundry and
begin moving tickets

2. Migrate CVS

3. Migrate mailing lists

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 8/28/2006 9:36 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> O.k. so how about a phased approach?
>
> 1. Contact maintainers to create their new projects on pgfoundry and
> begin moving tickets
>
> 2. Migrate CVS
>
> 3. Migrate mailing lists

Apparently something cut the throat first. GBorg is down since Sunday.

Jan

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Dave Page"

Neptune lost 2 disks at once... Buts whats more interesting is that
yours is the first complaint I've seen.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > O.k. so how about a phased approach?
> > >
> > > 1. Contact maintainers to create their new projects on
> > pgfoundry and
> > > begin moving tickets
> > >
> > > 2. Migrate CVS
> > >
> > > 3. Migrate mailing lists
> >
> > Apparently something cut the throat first. GBorg is down since
> Sunday.
>
> Neptune lost 2 disks at once... Buts whats more interesting is that
> yours is the first complaint I've seen.

You don't look carefully enough. There's been a couple of complaints
earlier. But no, not many.

//Magnus

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

fwiw we had a number of requests on irc at least ...

Stefan

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 8/31/2006 9:10 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Meaning what?

A) Will be restored from backup
B) Data is lost finally and must be recovered from other sources

Jan

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Dave Page"

Well A) afaik. I'm just telling you what happened though.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> Apparently something cut the throat first. GBorg is down since
> Sunday.
> >
> > Neptune lost 2 disks at once... Buts whats more interesting is
> that
> > yours is the first complaint I've seen.
>
> Meaning what?
>
> A) Will be restored from backup
> B) Data is lost finally and must be recovered from other sources

The info I've seen from Marc says the data is available on backups and
will be restored, but the backup server is currently offline so it can't
be done right now. Don't know more details than that.

//Magnus

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 03:27:13PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > pgfoundry and

> > > Apparently something cut the throat first. GBorg is down since
> > > Sunday.
> >
> > Neptune lost 2 disks at once... Buts whats more interesting is
> > that yours is the first complaint I've seen.
>
> You don't look carefully enough. There's been a couple of complaints
> earlier. But no, not many.

Perhaps it's because you responded with a message to the effect "we're
on it" when I asked, and people took that to mean that prompt action
was in the works :)

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > You don't look carefully enough. There's been a couple of
> complaints
> > earlier. But no, not many.
>
> Perhaps it's because you responded with a message to the effect
> "we're on it" when I asked, and people took that to mean that
> prompt action was in the works :)

Probably. Heck, that's what *I* thought at the time :)

//Magnus

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 8/28/2006 9:36 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> O.k. so how about a phased approach?
>>
>> 1. Contact maintainers to create their new projects on pgfoundry and
>> begin moving tickets
>>
>> 2. Migrate CVS
>>
>> 3. Migrate mailing lists
>
> Apparently something cut the throat first. GBorg is down since Sunday.

It is a hardware failure apparently. My understanding is that Marc is
working on it.

Joshua D. Drake

> Jan

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
grate mailing lists
>> Apparently something cut the throat first. GBorg is down since Sunday.
>
> Neptune lost 2 disks at once... Buts whats more interesting is that
> yours is the first complaint I've seen.

Fetter also brought it up, but it was on IRC :)

> Regards, Dave.

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Dave Page"

Perhaps we could get a new "rule" on IRC that when someone reports an
infrastructure issue, one of the regulars forwards it to -www ?

/D

Re: Cutting the Gborg throat

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Record creation date

From
Rafael Barrera Oro
Date:
Hello everyone! i am checking a database due to some inconsintencies and
i was wandering if its possible to find out the creation date of a
record (using the oid, whatever...). Maybe i am saying something stupid
(since i am no DB expert) so if this is the case, please point it out
gently.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Rafael

Re: Record creation date

From
ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee)
Date:
In article <44F6C908.9080908@interactivegaming.com>,
Rafael Barrera Oro <rbarrera@interactivegaming.com> wrote:

% Hello everyone! i am checking a database due to some inconsintencies and
% i was wandering if its possible to find out the creation date of a
% record (using the oid, whatever...). Maybe i am saying something stupid
% (since i am no DB expert) so if this is the case, please point it out
% gently.

Whatever: xmin, xmax

These give the range of transaction ids over which the data in a row are
valid. If xmin is 2, it means the change was made long enough ago that
vacuum has frozen it to avoid transaction wrap-around (or that you ran
vacuum freeze). Otherwise, the xmin can be compared to the xmin of some
table with a timestamp to get the approximate time the record was last
changed.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
North York  Canada