PostgreSQL Internals

From
"Germán Hüttemann Arza"
Date:
Hi,

I'm a student of computer science from Asunción, Paraguay and I need to do an investigation about file layout, file organization, organization of records in files, storage access, access methods, indexing and hashing of PostgreSQL database.

I searched widely in the Internet but I didn't find much. I also looked at the documentation at the web site with same results.

Where can I find such information? I hope you can help me find what I looking for.

Germán Hüttemann Arza

Re: PostgreSQL Internals

Date:
"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Germ=E1n_H=FCttemann_Arza?=" <ghuttemann@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm a student of computer science from Asunci=F3n, Paraguay and I need to d=
> an investigation about file layout, file organization, organization of
> records in files, storage access, access methods, indexing and hashing of
> PostgreSQL database.

> I searched widely in the Internet but I didn't find much. I also looked at
> the documentation at the web site with same results.

Start with the "internals" section of the SGML docs:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/internals.html
After you've absorbed whatever seems useful to you there,
start reading the source code.  In particular there are a lot
of README files scattered through the source tree that go into
more detail than the SGML docs, and we also make an effort to have
well-commented source code.

            regards, tom lane