Problem with postgresql-docs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm

From
"Brian Mathis"
Date:
I am trying to upgrade my installation from 8.1.3 to 8.1.4, and when I try to upgrade the postgresql-docs package, I am getting the following error from 'rpm -Uvh':
error: postgresql-docs-8.1.4-1PGDG.i686.rpm : MD5 digest: BAD Expected(a6f3196317b296ef555f47f343a6871b) != (b9dcbf1533565efb9d629e25a4224906)

I have verified the md5sum of the package against that listed in the file MD5SUM, and it returns OK.

I am using binary packages from this directory on the ftp:
        binary/v8.1.4/linux/rpms/redhat/rhel-as-4/

My server is a CentOS 4.3 installation with all updates applied.
Is anyone else seeing this?
Thanks.

ALTER USER ..... PASSWORD ....

From
Rafal Pietrak
Date:
Just wondering,

psql clinet tool loggs issued commands into ~/.psql_history, which is
VERY usefull. I exercise grep-ing the file extensively.

But when it comes to command like "ALTER/CREATE USER ... PASSWORD" I'd
rather have it NOT logged.

This is not a major issue, since there are workarounds - temporary
switching the logging off, etc. Still one have to keep thinking of that
and I have forgot occasionally, still there might be admins which don't
really care.

The implementation should be fairly simple for psql author (I guess :),
but I myself am not up to knowing if it really is. The problem looks
simple: psql-tool should filter away 'sensitive' sql-commands, before
putting them into the log? But the implementation is not so trivial,
since it should take into account not filtering: "ALTER TABLE 'user' add
column password text" and other such similarities, which should actually
be logged.

Comments?

--
-R

Re: ALTER USER ..... PASSWORD ....

Date:
Rafal Pietrak <rafal@zorro.isa-geek.com> writes:
> psql clinet tool loggs issued commands into ~/.psql_history, which is
> VERY usefull. I exercise grep-ing the file extensively.

> But when it comes to command like "ALTER/CREATE USER ... PASSWORD" I'd
> rather have it NOT logged.

The history file is only readable by yourself, so I see no problem.
Personally I *don't* want psql editorializing on what it saves there.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ALTER USER ..... PASSWORD ....

From
Rafal Pietrak
Date:
The point is, it hangs around: in backup 'tapes' to begin with.

And if it's the case of postmaster history, there may be lots of other
people passwords to find. (So I generaly disable postmaster
psql_history, but that's a nuicence).

But as I said, it's a sort of a nuicence, not really an issue.

Obviously, psql is not a place for any extensive command filtering. But
this touches security and I would be willing to have an exception here.

Still, that's just my 2c.

Regards,

-R

--