create view problem

From
"Chris Velevitch"
Date:
I'm using pg 7.4.5 (cygwin) on win xp sp1.

When I enter:-

    create view v1 as select * from t1;

I get:-

    ERROR:  syntax error at or near "view" at character 16

Why?

Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group

Re: create view problem

Date:
"Chris Velevitch" <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm using pg 7.4.5 (cygwin) on win xp sp1.
> When I enter:-
>     create view v1 as select * from t1;
> I get:-
>     ERROR:  syntax error at or near "view" at character 16

Repeatably?

"view" is not nearly 16 characters into that command.  I think you
typed something like

    junk here
    create view v1 ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: create view problem

From
"Chris Velevitch"
Date:
On 6/2/06, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Chris Velevitch" writes:
> > I'm using pg 7.4.5 (cygwin) on win xp sp1.
> > When I enter:-
> >     create view v1 as select * from t1;
> > I get:-
> >     ERROR:  syntax error at or near "view" at character 16
>
> Repeatably?
>
> "view" is not nearly 16 characters into that command.  I think you
> typed something like
>
>         junk here
>         create view v1 ...

Yes, I had "explain" in front.

Chris
--

Date:
On 6/3/06, Chris Velevitch wrote:
> On 6/2/06, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Chris Velevitch" writes:
> > > I'm using pg 7.4.5 (cygwin) on win xp sp1.
> > > When I enter:-
> > >     create view v1 as select * from t1;
> > > I get:-
> > >     ERROR:  syntax error at or near "view" at character 16
> >
> > Repeatably?
> >
> > "view" is not nearly 16 characters into that command.  I think you
> > typed something like
> >
> >         junk here
> >         create view v1 ...
>
> Yes, I had "explain" in front.

Why doesn't explain work with create views? There's nothing in the
documentation saying it shouldn't. If this is deliberate, the error
should state that.

Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group
www.flashdev.org.au

Re: create view problem

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Chris Velevitch wrote:
> Why doesn't explain work with create views? There's nothing in the
> documentation saying it shouldn't.

No? The documentation for explain clearly states that the statement that follow the EXPLAIN
keyword is "Any SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, EXECUTE, or DECLARE statement". I don't see
CREATE (or any other ddl statement) in that list.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: create view problem

From
"Chris Velevitch"
Date:
On 6/5/06, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Chris Velevitch wrote:
> > Why doesn't explain work with create views? There's nothing in the
> > documentation saying it shouldn't.
>  >
> No? The documentation for explain clearly states that the statement that follow the EXPLAIN
> keyword is "Any SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, EXECUTE, or DECLARE statement". I don't see
> CREATE (or any other ddl statement) in that list.

I stand corrected.

But, wouldn't you want to see the execution plan for the select
statement that appears in the create? And besides, a more meaning
error message should be generated afterall it's not a syntax error,
but a "that type of statement is not allowed in the EXPLAIN command"
type of error.

Chris
--

Date:
"Chris Velevitch" <chris.velevitch@gmail.com> writes:
> But, wouldn't you want to see the execution plan for the select
> statement that appears in the create?

Then give the EXPLAIN the select statement that appears in the create.

Logically, EXPLAIN of a DDL statement would tell you about the costs
of performing the catalog modifications involved in the DDL statement.
Which wouldn't have anything to do with what you request above.  I don't
believe that CREATE VIEW ever bothers to form a plan for the view query
at all --- it just stuffs the parse tree into the catalogs.

            regards, tom lane