How to allow non-local to postgreSQL

From
leo camalig
Date:
Good Day....

I Just want to ask on how to allow a non-local in PostgreSQL without adding it in
pg-hba.conf

I just want to view a desktop application on Web, yes it works, but you need to allow those I.P. addresses that will gonna connect to postgreSQL. What I want is everyone in the net can access the said desktop application. Can you help me on how to configure it.

thank you very much....

Re: How to allow non-local to postgreSQL

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Date:
leo camalig wrote:
> Good Day....
>

> I Just want to ask on how to allow a non-local in PostgreSQL
> without adding it in
> pg-hba.conf
You don't. pg_hba.conf is the place where you can specify who
can connect from where to which database using what authentication
method. Your only alternative to using pg_hba.conf would be
to allow access from anywhere in pg_hba.conf, and use the firewalling
capabilieties of your OS to restrict access.

> I just want to view a desktop application on Web, yes it works, but you
> need to allow those I.P. addresses that will gonna connect to
> postgreSQL. What I want is everyone in the net can access the said
> desktop application. Can you help me on how to configure it.
You can add whole subnets to pg_hba.conf - that's the reason why
there is a "host" and a "netmask" field ;-)
To e.g. allow anyone from the ip-range 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255,
you'd use a line containing "192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0".
To allow connections from anywhere, use "0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0".

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: How to allow non-local to postgreSQL

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 18:37:31 -0700,
  leo camalig <leo_camalig@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Good Day....
>

>   I Just want to ask on how to allow a non-local in PostgreSQL without adding it in
>   pg-hba.conf

That isn't possible. You need to grant the access using that file.

>   I just want to view a desktop application on Web, yes it works, but you need to allow those I.P. addresses that
willgonna connect to postgreSQL. What I want is everyone in the net can access the said desktop application. Can you
helpme on how to configure it.

Can you clarify what you are really asking? The "internet" is not the "web".

Are you asking if people can run desktop applications that connect directly
to your database server from anywhere? If so, the abswer is that it's
possible, but you probably don't really want to do that.

If you are asking if you can have people run an application using a web browser
where the application runs on a server you control, that is also possible and
is generally a better way to do things.