EnterpriseDB

From
Matthew Hixson
Date:
http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/04_24_06.do

Was wondering if anyone had used that to import an Oracle .dmp file
and then export a Postgres 8.1 dump file for import into a regular
PostgreSQL database.
   -M@

Re: EnterpriseDB

From
Terry Fielder
Date:
By "regular PostgreSQL" do you mean a PostgreSQL 7.x install?

Terry Fielder
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
Fax: (416) 441-9085

Matthew Hixson wrote:
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/04_24_06.do
>
> Was wondering if anyone had used that to import an Oracle .dmp file
> and then export a Postgres 8.1 dump file for import into a regular
> PostgreSQL database.
>   -M@

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: EnterpriseDB

From
Matthew Hixson
Date:
Just a normal, downloaded from www.postgresql.org, PostgreSQL 8.1
database.
   -M@

On May 5, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Terry Fielder wrote:

> By "regular PostgreSQL" do you mean a PostgreSQL 7.x install?
>
> Terry Fielder
> terry@greatgulfhomes.com
> Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
> Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
> Fax: (416) 441-9085
>

> Matthew Hixson wrote:
>> http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/04_24_06.do
>>
>> Was wondering if anyone had used that to import an Oracle .dmp
>> file and then export a Postgres 8.1 dump file for import into a
>> regular PostgreSQL database.
>>   -M@
>>
>> ---------------------------(end of
>>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: EnterpriseDB

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Terry Fielder wrote:
> By "regular PostgreSQL" do you mean a PostgreSQL 7.x install?

No he probably means the current Open Source release from the PostgreSQL
Development group thus 8.1.3.

Joshua D. Drake

> Terry Fielder
> terry@greatgulfhomes.com
> Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
> Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
> Fax: (416) 441-9085
>

> Matthew Hixson wrote:
>> http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/04_24_06.do
>>
>> Was wondering if anyone had used that to import an Oracle .dmp file
>> and then export a Postgres 8.1 dump file for import into a regular
>> PostgreSQL database.
>>   -M@

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

                     http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: EnterpriseDB

From
"Guy Rouillier"
Date:
Matthew Hixson wrote:
> Just a normal, downloaded from www.postgresql.org, PostgreSQL 8.1
> database.

I imagine Terry's question stems from what would appear to be a
straightforward scenario, and hence the need to ask.  For the second
part of your question, are you asking simply if you can dump a PG
database and then import it back into PG?  If that is your question,
then yes, that's what dump is designed for.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: EnterpriseDB

From
Will Reese
Date:
It is my understanding that EnterpriseDB has many extensions built on
top of PostgreSQL 8.1, and I doubt that an EnterpriseDB backup could
be restored into the open source version of PostgreSQL.  It would
probably error out once it tried to create a stored procedure with
the oracle compatibility extensions in it.

Will Reese
http://blog.rezra.com