what the problem with this query

From
venu gopal
Date:
Hi all,
   When i try to run the following query it gives the following error what was wrong in the query.

Query:SELECT o.orgunitname AS ouname, e.entrynumber AS value_field, centroid(c.the_geom) AS the_geom, c.ogc_fid AS ogc_fid FROM (ctrphc AS c INNER JOIN orgunit o ON c.dhs_ouname = o.orgunitname) INNER JOIN (SELECT orgunitid, entrynumber FROM routinedataou4 WHERE dataelementid=1195 AND dataperiodid = 86) AS e ON o.orgunitid = e.orgunitid) AS new_table USING UNIQUE ogc_fid USING SRID=-1

Error::ERROR:  syntax error at or near ")" at character 333

Regards,
venu

Re: [ADMIN] what the problem with this query

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
o.orgunitid = e.orgunitid)

That ")" is not valid Venu. (Nothing is being enclosed)

Regards,
Guido

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: what the problem with this query

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Apr 14, 2006, at 20:09 , venu gopal wrote:

> Query:SELECT o.orgunitname AS ouname, e.entrynumber AS value_field,
> centroid(c.the_geom) AS the_geom, c.ogc_fid AS ogc_fid FROM (ctrphc
> AS c INNER JOIN orgunit o ON c.dhs_ouname = o.orgunitname) INNER
> JOIN (SELECT orgunitid, entrynumber FROM routinedataou4 WHERE
> dataelementid=1195 AND dataperiodid = 86) AS e ON o.orgunitid =
> e.orgunitid) AS new_table USING UNIQUE ogc_fid USING SRID=-1
>
> Error::ERROR:  syntax error at or near ")" at character 333

[please don't post HTML]

I'm not familiar with the syntax you're using, but one problem is
that your parentheses are not balanced -- there's an extra closing
parenthesis. That's probably what the error is complaining about. You
might want to try to use whitespace to see the structure of your
query better, e.g.,

SELECT o.orgunitname AS ouname
     , e.entrynumber AS value_field
     , centroid(c.the_geom) AS the_geom
     , c.ogc_fid AS ogc_fid
FROM (
     ctrphc AS c
     INNER JOIN orgunit o ON c.dhs_ouname = o.orgunitname)
INNER JOIN (
     SELECT orgunitid
         , entrynumber
     FROM routinedataou4
     WHERE dataelementid=1195
         AND dataperiodid = 86
     ) AS e ON o.orgunitid = e.orgunitid) AS new_table USING UNIQUE
ogc_fid USING SRID=-1

Hope this helps a bit.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: what the problem with this query

From
"William Penberthy"

IT appears you have one too many closing parans…

SELECT o.orgunitname AS ouname, e.entrynumber AS value_field, centroid

(

Date:
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> I'm not familiar with the syntax you're using, but one problem is
> that your parentheses are not balanced -- there's an extra closing
> parenthesis. That's probably what the error is complaining about. You
> might want to try to use whitespace to see the structure of your
> query better, e.g.,

Also, consider using a newer Postgres release.  8.0 and up provide
a cursor pointer so that you don't have to count characters:

regression=# SELECT o.orgunitname AS ouname, e.entrynumber AS value_field, centroid(c.the_geom) AS the_geom, c.ogc_fid
ASogc_fid FROM (ctrphc AS c INNER JOIN orgunit o ON c.dhs_ouname = o.orgunitname) INNER JOIN (SELECT orgunitid,
entrynumberFROM routinedataou4 WHERE dataelementid=1195 AND dataperiodid = 86) AS e ON o.orgunitid = e.orgunitid) AS
new_tableUSING UNIQUE ogc_fid USING SRID=-1;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near ")" at character 333
LINE 1: ...taperiodid = 86) AS e ON o.orgunitid = e.orgunitid) AS new_t...
                                                             ^
regression=#

            regards, tom lane

Re: [ADMIN] what the problem with this query

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:09:16AM +0000, venu gopal wrote:
> Hi all,
>    When i try to run the following query it gives the following error what was wrong in the query.
>
> Query:SELECT o.orgunitname AS ouname, e.entrynumber AS value_field, centroid(c.the_geom) AS the_geom, c.ogc_fid AS
ogc_fidFROM (ctrphc AS c INNER JOIN orgunit o ON c.dhs_ouname = o.orgunitname) INNER JOIN (SELECT orgunitid,
entrynumberFROM routinedataou4 WHERE dataelementid=1195 AND dataperiodid = 86) AS e ON o.orgunitid = e.orgunitid) AS
new_tableUSING UNIQUE ogc_fid USING SRID=-1

> Error::ERROR:  syntax error at or near ")" at character 333

Extra ) after the the last ON.