how can I create the DML for an existing database - within an application

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
I want to get the output from

pg_dump --struct-only --table=whatever

inside a programm. Of course I could call pg_dump in a seperate process and capture the output and all; but ...

as PGAdmin is doing it someway, I strongly suspect there is a kind of call to recreate the DML language from a table in the database. Please give me a hint!

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Re: how can I create the DML for an existing database - within an application

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> I want to get the output from
>
> pg_dump --struct-only --table=whatever
>
> inside a programm. Of course I could call pg_dump in a
> seperate process and capture the output and all; but ...
>
> as PGAdmin is doing it someway, I strongly suspect there is a
> kind of call to recreate the DML language from a table in the
> database. Please give me a hint!

AFAIK, pgadmin opens a pipe to pg_dump.

//Magnus

Yes, when creating an actual backup. To display the definition on the
main window it goes to great pains to reverse engineer the SQL from the
catalogues.

Regards, Dave

Yes, when creating an actual backup. To display the definition on the
main window it goes to great pains to reverse engineer the SQL from the
catalogues.

do you think it is possible to "isolate that pain" within the source and expose it as a module? Or do you think this would be way to difficult?

That would require significant restructuring of pgAdmin's code, in a way that would not make it more usable within pgAdmin. It's not something we would consider doing.

Regards, Dave.