Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
"Yudie Pg"
Date:
I want to execute a command line from trigger function.
The reason is I want to execute my perl script from stored procedure.

any idea?

Yudie

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 14:48, Yudie Pg wrote:
> I want to execute a command line from trigger function.
> The reason is I want to execute my perl script from stored procedure.

Why not just install perl as a procedural language?  It's one of a dozen
or more available to you.  Then you can write the whole trigger in perl
instead of calling an external program.

Note that perl, like many other languages, is available in a "trusted"
and an "untrusted" version.  The trusted versions aren't allowed to do
dangerous things like access the file system and run external programs.
Untrusted will do anything that perl can do from the command line.

Note that plpgsql cannot run external programs on purpose.  It's a
security and safety issue.

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
Terry Lee Tucker
Date:
On Thursday 06 April 2006 03:48 pm, Yudie Pg saith:
> I want to execute a command line from trigger function.
> The reason is I want to execute my perl script from stored procedure.
>
> any idea?
>

> Yudie

Yudie,

You might want to write your perl script as a trusted perl funcion and call
from your trigger as you would any other backend function.

Example of one we use:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION fmtstr (TEXT, INTEGER) RETURNS TEXT AS '
    my ($str, $len) = @_;
    return (pack ("A$len", $str));
' LANGUAGE 'plperlu';

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
"Yudie Pg"

I'm running postgresql 7.4.1. is it can't really be used for trigger function?

Date:
On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 10:42, Yudie Pg wrote:

> I'm running postgresql 7.4.1. is it can't really be used for trigger
> function?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/plperl-missing.html

Two points:

1:  Upgrade to 7.4.12 (or whatever the latest version is) immediately.
There are known data loss bugs in 7.4.1, and usually, the closer you are
to 7.4.0, the more likely those kinds of bugs are to show up.  I.e. a
data loss bug discovered in 7.4.11 and fixed in 7.4.12 is probably
REALLY rare, but one found in 7.4.0 and fixed in 7.4.2 is much more
likely to be a common occurrence, since those are  found early on.

2:  Try using plphp.  It can be used for triggers.  So can pltcl if
you'd rather use that.

Date:
On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 10:42, Yudie Pg wrote:

> I'm running postgresql 7.4.1. is it can't really be used for trigger
> function?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/plperl-missing.html

Quick followup, the latest plPHP does not work on Postgresql versions <
8.0.  So you'd either need to upgrade your postgresql to run it, or look
for pltcl.  pltcl has been around a while, so I can't imagine there not
being a good, solid, working version for pg 7.4

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
Tony Caduto
Yudie Pg wrote:

> I'm running postgresql 7.4.1. is it can't really be used for trigger
> function?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/plperl-missing.html

That is true, but you can call a plperl function from a plpgsql trigger
function.
Wouldn't that work?

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
"Yudie Pg"
Date:
Back to my original question where is it possible to run a command line from a function?

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
Terry Lee Tucker
Date:
On Friday 07 April 2006 01:32 pm, Yudie Pg saith:
> Back to my original question where is it possible to run a command line
> from a function?

From an earlier post:

Date:
On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 12:38, Terry Lee Tucker wrote:
> On Friday 07 April 2006 01:32 pm, Yudie Pg saith:
> > Back to my original question where is it possible to run a command line
> > from a function?
>
> From an earlier post:
> "Note that plpgsql cannot run external programs on purpose.  It's a
> security and safety issue."

Which is why I had advised using another language.  Help!  We're all
trapped in a loop!  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
Terry Lee Tucker
Date:
Reminds me of an old Star Trek - Next Generation episode. They were stuck in a
time loop reliving the same series of events over and over. They had to leave
themselves a clue so they could figure it out next time around. Maybe your
post is it ;o)

On Friday 07 April 2006 02:12 pm, Scott Marlowe saith:
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 12:38, Terry Lee Tucker wrote:
> > On Friday 07 April 2006 01:32 pm, Yudie Pg saith:
> > > Back to my original question where is it possible to run a command line
> > > from a function?
> >
> > From an earlier post:
> > "Note that plpgsql cannot run external programs on purpose.  It's a
> > security and safety issue."
>
> Which is why I had advised using another language.  Help!  We're all
> trapped in a loop!  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
"Yudie Pg"
Date:
Help!
Try to install plperl
./createlang plperl mydb

createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/plperl": No such file or directory

Re: Running Command Line From Trigger?

From
Terry Lee Tucker
Date:
On Friday 07 April 2006 03:52 pm, Yudie Pg saith:
>  Help!
> Try to install plperl
> ./createlang plperl mydb
>
> createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not access file
> "$libdir/plperl": No such file or directory

Do you have the Perl module on your machine? If not, you can get it here:
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Pg&mode=all