Column descriptions - could they be propagated to new tables?

From
Clive Page
Date:
Since I discovered the facilities in Postgres for providing and listing
column descrptions, I have found them very useful, especially for adding a
string showing physical units to my columns.  For example:

\d+ cat
                       Table "public.cat"
      Column      |       Type       | Modifiers | Description
-----------------+------------------+-----------+--------------
  src_num         | integer          |           |
  ra              | double precision |           | deg
  decl            | double precision |           | deg
  radec_err       | real             |           | arcsec
  lii             | double precision |           | deg
  bii             | double precision |           | deg
  pn_cts          | real             |           | counts

However if one performs a JOIN creating a new table, all these
descriptions fail to transfer.  I haven't been able to find any easy way
of propagating the descriptions - would it be a useful facility to have
them propagated automatically?  I would have thought that things like
units would be useful even in many scientific applications, e.g. to have
monetary columns described as dollars/pounds/euros or whatever.

--
Clive Page
Dept of Physics & Astronomy,

Re: Column descriptions - could they be propagated to new tables?

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On 4/5/06, Clive Page <cgp@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> Since I discovered the facilities in Postgres for providing and listing
> column descrptions, I have found them very useful, especially for adding a
> string showing physical units to my columns.

Have you considered using domains for these types?  You can comment
the domain appropriately.  While the domain description will not show
in \d+. to get the description you can do \dT on the domain.

Based on your background I also think you might appreciate domains
from a design perspective.  There are a couple of disadvantages to
using them so I'd suggest reading about them.

merlin

Date:
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> Have you considered using domains for these types?  You can comment
> the domain appropriately.  While the domain description will not show
> in \d+. to get the description you can do \dT on the domain.
>
> Based on your background I also think you might appreciate domains
> from a design perspective.  There are a couple of disadvantages to
> using them so I'd suggest reading about them.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll start reading up on them.

--
Clive Page
Dept of Physics & Astronomy,
University of Leicester,
Leicester, LE1 7RH,  U.K.

Re: Column descriptions - could they be propagated to new tables?

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 4/5/06, Clive Page <cgp@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Since I discovered the facilities in Postgres for providing and
>> listing
>> column descrptions, I have found them very useful, especially for
>> adding a
>> string showing physical units to my columns.
>
> Have you considered using domains for these types?  You can comment
> the domain appropriately.  While the domain description will not show
> in \d+. to get the description you can do \dT on the domain.
>
> Based on your background I also think you might appreciate domains
> from a design perspective.  There are a couple of disadvantages to
> using them so I'd suggest reading about them.

I seem to recall some astronomer having created some custom types for
storing astronomical data in PostgreSQL. Or perhaps he was using
PostGIS. I know that other astronomers are using PostgreSQL/PostGIS
so if you look around you might be able to save yourself quite a bit
of work.

Date:
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Jim Nasby wrote:

> I seem to recall some astronomer having created some custom types for storing
> astronomical data in PostgreSQL. Or perhaps he was using PostGIS. I know that
> other astronomers are using PostgreSQL/PostGIS so if you look around you
> might be able to save yourself quite a bit of work.

Well I know about pgAstro and pgSphere (and helped a little in testing
them) but maybe there are others.  Will look, thanks.

--
Clive Page
Dept of Physics & Astronomy,