Why postgres install requires physical access to server in windows

From
"Andrus"
Date:
Remote install of Postgres 8.1.3 using Windows installer binary package is
not working (says that console mode is required) even when RDP client is
started with

mstsc /console

switch.

However, using installer package, creating cluster and server process
manually works OK from RDP client!

Any idea why Postgres installer requires physical access to server to
install Postgres ?

Andrus.

Re: Why postgres install requires physical access to server in windows

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Remote install of Postgres 8.1.3 using Windows installer
> binary package is not working (says that console mode is
> required) even when RDP client is started with
>
> mstsc /console
>
> switch.

It should work fine with this switch. I've used it many times.

> However, using installer package, creating cluster and server
> process manually works OK from RDP client!
>
> Any idea why Postgres installer requires physical access to
> server to install Postgres ?

The problem is in the interaction with the RunAs service. This is being
looked into for the next release.

//Magnus

Date:
>> mstsc /console
>
> It should work fine with this switch. I've used it many times.

I ran "mstsc /console" from my XP Proffessional and tried to install
Postgres 8.1.3 in two different
servers:

Windows 2003
Windows 2000

Both cause the following message:

---------------------------
Internal error
---------------------------
The PostgreSQL installer must be run on the system console, not in a
terminal services session.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

What I'm doint wrong ?

Date:
> >> mstsc /console
> >
> > It should work fine with this switch. I've used it many times.
>
> I ran "mstsc /console" from my XP Proffessional and tried to
> install Postgres 8.1.3 in two different
> servers:
>
> Windows 2003
> Windows 2000
>
> Both cause the following message:
>
> ---------------------------
> Internal error
> ---------------------------
> The PostgreSQL installer must be run on the system console,
> not in a terminal services session.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> What I'm doint wrong ?

Well, first of all, mstsc/console is not supported on Windows 2000.
Second, make sure that you have the correct version of mstsc. mstsc /?
will tell you if your current client supports the /console parameter.
(If it doesn't, it'll silently eat it and ignore it)

//Magnus

Date:
> Second, make sure that you have the correct version of mstsc. mstsc /?
> will tell you if your current client supports the /console parameter.
> (If it doesn't, it'll silently eat it and ignore it)

I think I use mstsc from XP SP2

mstsc /?  returns

---------------------------
Usage
---------------------------
Remote Desktop Connection

MSTSC      [<Connection File>] [/v:<server[:port]>] [/console]
[/f[ullscreen]]
[/w:<width> /h:<height>] | /Edit"ConnectionFile" | /Migrate | /?

<Connection File> -- specifies the name of an .rdp file for the
connection.

/v:<server[:port]> -- specifies the terminal server to which you want
 to connect.

/console -- connects to the console session of a server.

/f -- Starts the client in full-screen mode.

/w:<width> -- specifies the width of the Remote Desktop screen.

/h:<height> -- Specifies the height of the Remote Desktop screen.

/edit -- Opens the specified .rdp file for editing.

/migrate -- migrates legacy connection files that were created with
Client Connection Manager to new .rdp connection files.

/? -- generates this Usage message.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

So /console switch seems to be supported.
However, in Windows 2003 server Postgres installer still says that I must
run in console session.

Any idea why ?

Andrus.

Re: Why postgres install requires physical access to

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 16:07, Andrus wrote:
> Remote install of Postgres 8.1.3 using Windows installer binary package is
> not working (says that console mode is required) even when RDP client is
> started with
>
> mstsc /console
>
> switch.
>
> However, using installer package, creating cluster and server process
> manually works OK from RDP client!
>
> Any idea why Postgres installer requires physical access to server to
> install Postgres ?

There's always VNC: http://www.realvnc.com/  That way Windows won't know
you're not sitting in front of it, and if you've got to access it from
across the country on a linux or BSD or MAC box, it still works.

Date:
> There's always VNC: http://www.realvnc.com/  That way Windows won't know
> you're not sitting in front of it, and if you've got to access it from
> across the country on a linux or BSD or MAC box, it still works.

VNC requires additional port to be opened.

I  have no free opened ports in W2K server. Also In my XP client, all
incoming ports are closed.

Andrus.