Re: question about the admin contrib module and binary

From
"Dave Page"

Well in fairness to Tony we do refer to it as a 'contrib' module, but
that's because it uses the contrib build system (or PGXS in SVN trunk).

> > I and many others don't want to install a pgadmin rpm on a
> server that
> > has no GUI, that would not make any sense at all.
>
> Which is one very good reason why it should be a separate RPM, no?  If
> it were in the contrib RPM then you could not install that
> RPM *at all*
> on a machine that didn't have all of pgadmin's dependencies.  I don't
> know offhand what its dependencies are, but I'd imagine they include a
> fair number of "GUI" packages.

Yeah - wxWidgets, GTK etc. but none are required by the admin module,
only by pgAdmin itself on the users workstation. Devrim has said he will
build it as a separate RPM - in the meantime a source tarball can be
downloaded from http://www.pgadmin.org/download/adminpacks.php, or the
PGXS compatible versions can be found in SVN under
http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/xtra/

Regards, Dave

Re: question about the admin contrib module and binary

From
Tony Caduto
Dave Page wrote:
> Well in fairness to Tony we do refer to it as a 'contrib' module, but
> that's because it uses the contrib build system (or PGXS in SVN trunk).
>

> Devrim has said he will
> build it as a separate RPM - in the meantime a source tarball can be
> downloaded from http://www.pgadmin.org/download/adminpacks.php, or the
> PGXS compatible versions can be found in SVN under
> http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/xtra/

Hi Dave,
a seperate rpm would be fine as long as it is just the admin module stuff.
I wasn't clear on Devrim's first response, it sounded like he was going
to make a seperate pgAdmin rpm that included
the admin module.

Later,

Tony

Re: question about the admin contrib module and binary

Date:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> Yeah - wxWidgets, GTK etc. but none are required by the admin module,
> only by pgAdmin itself on the users workstation.

Oh, so what we're talking about is some server-side support functions
for the pgAdmin client?  OK, that's not what I was envisioning.  From
a dependency standpoint it might be OK to package that as a contrib
module.  I would say the main point for or against is whether you are
ready to tie the releases of the support functions to releases of the
core server.  If they should naturally go with pgAdmin releases then
it'd be sticky to have them in contrib.

There's also a licensing issue which is that pgAdmin is GPL, while
we're trying to make sure that all contrib modules are licensed
the same as the core server.

            regards, tom lane