Working out diskspace taken by database and tables 7.4

From
frank church

I am trying to work out how much space is taken up by a given database in  the
file system.

I have googled the archives and found the stuff there looks dated.

Is there some script or query that can work it all out?

My current version is 7.4. Knowing abut 8.x.x will be fine too?

Re: Working out diskspace taken by database and tables 7.4

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 12:53:57PM +0000, frank church wrote:
> I am trying to work out how much space is taken up by a given
> database in the file system.

On Unix-like systems a simplistic way is to use "du" on the database
directory, which is generally $PGDATA/base/database_oid.  You can
find the database oid by querying pg_database:

SELECT oid, datname FROM pg_database;

If you're using alternative locations (pre-8.0) or tablespaces (8.0
and later) then you'll need to take those directories into account.

See also "Monitoring Disk Usage" in the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/diskusage.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/diskusage.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/diskusage.html

The contrib/dbsize functions mentioned in 8.0 and earlier have been
moved into the backend proper in 8.1.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-DBSIZE

--
Michael Fuhr