Image in postgresql 7.3

From
"Peerri (sent by Nabble.com)"
Date:
Please help me!!! I'm with problems to record images in database in field type bytea. I'm using visual basic 6.0 and object ado stream to convert binary. They say me if another way exists to record the images in the data base. Thanks!! [:-)

Sent from the PostgreSQL - general forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Image in postgresql 7.3

From
Berend Tober
Date:
Peerri (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> I'm with problems to record images in database in field type bytea.
> I'm using visual basic 6.0 and object ado stream to convert binary.
>
> They say me if another way exists to record the images in the data base.

This may not be for the faint of heart, but what I do is uuencode images
and store them in TEXT type columns. I started doing this because (and
here my memory may not be serving me with clear fidelity) I got the
impression from documentation when I first started using PG several
years ago that there was some "gotcha" related to BLOBs or BYTEA type
columns in the pg_dump/pg_restore process. This approach has worked for
my needs (mugshots and scanned written signatures), and so I never
revisited the implementation.

Re: Image in postgresql 7.3

From
Frank Finner
Date:
Hi,

like Berend, I also store my PDFs in text columns, but I usually use base64 encoding. AFAICS this has the big advantage
versusBLOBs that I do not need to care about backup issues. The disadvantage of course is a bigger database (encoding
inflatesabout 30%), so if you have lots and lots of pictures, you might want to use an other method. Another (small)
disadvantageis that one has to encode/decode the binary files before storing/after retreiving.

Regards, Frank.

--
Frank Finner

Invenius - Lösungen mit Linux
Köpfchenstraße 36
57072 Siegen
Telefon: 0271 231 8606    Mail: frank.finner@invenius.de
Telefax: 0271 231 8608    Web:  http://www.invenius.de
Key fingerprint = 90DF FF40 582E 6D6B BADF  6E6A A74E 67E4 E788 2651

Attachment