Strange error while executing query from front end:

From
"Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)"
Date:
Hi,

I am getting following strange errors while executing queries.

1)
ERROR:  xlog flush request 0/108EA5F8 is not satisfied --- flushed only
to 0/1813C60
CONTEXT:  writing block 2 of relation 17142/16653
WARNING:  could not write block 2 of 17142/16653
DETAIL:  Multiple failures --- write error may be permanent.
ERROR:  xlog flush request 0/108EA5F8 is not satisfied --- flushed only
to 0/1813C60
CONTEXT:  writing block 2 of relation 17142/16653
WARNING:  could not write block 2 of 17142/16653
DETAIL:  Multiple failures --- write error may be permanent.
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection
LOG:  unexpected EOF on client connection

2)I am getting messages saying that

WARNING:  relation page <number> is uninitialized  in <tablename>

I am getting this WARNING multiple times...

Could u please help me regarding these issues,

Thanking You in advance,
Prasanna.

Re: Strange error while executing query from front end:

From
"Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)"
[...]

Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:27:30AM +0530, Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting following strange errors while executing queries.
>
> 1)
> ERROR:  xlog flush request 0/108EA5F8 is not satisfied --- flushed only
> to 0/1813C60

If I had to guess, I'd say you're having a hard disk failure of some
kind.  In particular, this tells you that a flush of the write ahead
log isn't completing.  That's a Bad Thing.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie

Re: Strange error while executing query from front end:

Date:
Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:27:30AM +0530, Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD) wrote:
>> ERROR:  xlog flush request 0/108EA5F8 is not satisfied --- flushed only
>> to 0/1813C60

> If I had to guess, I'd say you're having a hard disk failure of some
> kind.  In particular, this tells you that a flush of the write ahead
> log isn't completing.  That's a Bad Thing.

Actually it looks like corrupt data to me: some page's LSN field
contains a value that is past the actual end of WAL, and therefore
isn't a correct copy of the location of the last WAL record affecting
that page, as it's supposed to be.

Could have resulted from a hardware error, but it's hard to tell.

            regards, tom lane