Cube/Rollup/ and Connect by prior

From
Shawn Garbett
Date:
In oracle there is the idea of group by functions,
i.e. cube and rollup that are very useful for
reporting. I've not found an equivalent in PostgreSQL.
What's the status of this? Can I write my own?

Connect by Prior is a recursive query function for
navigating tree data structures in oracle, i.e A Table
that has many of itself. Is there any equivalent in
PostgreSQL? Our data has lot's and lot's of trees.

Shawn

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Cube/Rollup/ and Connect by prior

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Jan 13, 2006, at 23:27 , Shawn Garbett wrote:

> In oracle there is the idea of group by functions,
> i.e. cube and rollup that are very useful for
> reporting. I've not found an equivalent in PostgreSQL.
> What's the status of this? Can I write my own?

As far as I know, CUBE and ROLLUP haven't been implemented into
PostgreSQL.

> Connect by Prior is a recursive query function for
> navigating tree data structures in oracle, i.e A Table
> that has many of itself. Is there any equivalent in
> PostgreSQL?

Check out tablefunc in the contrib directory. (contrib/tablefunc) I
believe that should do what you want.

Hope this helps.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com