Can't connect to postgresql using 'psql -d database -U user -W'

From
"ctobini"
Date:
Hello,

I have a problem with postgresql 7.4 installed on Linux Ubuntu 5.04
(hoary).

I made an 'alter' command for my db users :

eg: alter user postgres with password 'postgres';
ALTER USER

but I can't connect to postgresql using :

tobini% psql -d template1 -U postgres -W
password: postgres
psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"

Do you have an idea about this problem ?

Thanks.

C. Tobini

Re: Can't connect to postgresql using 'psql -d database -U user -W'

From
"Larry Rosenman"
ctobini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with postgresql 7.4 installed on Linux Ubuntu 5.04
> (hoary).
>
> I made an 'alter' command for my db users :
>
> eg: alter user postgres with password 'postgres';
> ALTER USER
>
> but I can't connect to postgresql using :
>
> tobini% psql -d template1 -U postgres -W
> password: postgres
> psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"
>
> Do you have an idea about this problem ?

Your pg_hba.conf file specifies IDENT authorization, and you are not
running
the command as the unix user postgres.

Check your pg_hba.conf file and the documentation on the pg_hba.conf
file:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/client-authentication.html
#AUTH-PG-HBA-CONF

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.459.1309
Email: Larry.Rosenman@pervasive.com
Web: www.pervasive.com

ellis@spinics.net (Rick Ellis)
Date:
In article <1136446265.206388.6610@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
ctobini <ctemp2@free.fr> wrote:

>tobini% psql -d template1 -U postgres -W
>password: postgres
>psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"
>
>Do you have an idea about this problem ?

Use the su command to become user postgres and then run the
psql command.