Correct way to set up Variables [Was - Simple Accumulating Number Loop?]

From
Ubence Quevedo
Date:
What would be the correct way to set up a dynamic
variable?  I did some further research on my question
below, and I still don't have a definite answer to
whether or not use \set or SET.  I did read at
http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/x19832 about using
variables in a Function, but that seems like an awful
lot to do [or does MS SQL make it easier than
PostgreSQL?].  Any help, ideas, or clarification are
much appreciated.

-Ubence

Re: Correct way to set up Variables [Was - Simple Accumulating

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Ubence Quevedo schrieb:
> What would be the correct way to set up a dynamic
> variable?  I did some further research on my question
> below, and I still don't have a definite answer to
> whether or not use \set or SET.  I did read at
> http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/x19832 about using
> variables in a Function, but that seems like an awful
> lot to do [or does MS SQL make it easier than
> PostgreSQL?].  Any help, ideas, or clarification are
> much appreciated.

Dont mix frontend and backend in your approach.
You can specify variables in whatever way your
stored function handles it (e.g. it depends on
the language you use. Examples for pl/pgsql
are in the docs.)
In Postgres you dont write arbitrary code
to the server. You write stored functions
(server side) or you write SQL statements.

Any further variable handling is up to your
host/application language.

psql, the command line client application
does not have variables as such nor any
flow control.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain