Restoring 64 to x86

From
Benjamin Arai
Date:
Are there any compatability issues from dumping a database from a x86 installation and restoring it on a 64bit install or vice versa?  I am assuming I can go from x86 to 64 but I am not sure about the other way.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

Date:
Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> writes:
> Are there any compatability issues from dumping a database from a x86
> installation and restoring it on a 64bit install or vice versa?

It won't work, in either direction, because of different alignment rules.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

From
Benjamin Arai
Date:
Is there a way to transfer data between the two architectures?

Tom Lane wrote:
Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> writes:
Are there any compatability issues from dumping a database from a x86
installation and restoring it on a 64bit install or vice versa?
It won't work, in either direction, because of different alignment rules.
		regards, tom lane

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Benjamin Arai wrote:
> Is there a way to transfer data between the two architectures?

I would think you could do it over the network:

pg_dump -U postgres foo|psql -U postgres -h other_machine foo

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>>Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> writes:
>>

>>>Are there any compatability issues from dumping a database from a x86
>>>installation and restoring it on a 64bit install or vice versa?
>>>

>>It won't work, in either direction, because of different alignment rules.
>>
>>            regards, tom lane
>>

> --
> *Benjamin Arai*
> barai@cs.ucr.edu <emailto:barai@cs.ucr.edu>
> http://www.benjaminarai.com

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

Date:
Benjamin Arai wrote:
> Is there a way to transfer data between the two architectures?

pg_dump.

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> writes:
> >

> >>Are there any compatability issues from dumping a database from a x86
> >>installation and restoring it on a 64bit install or vice versa?
> >>

> >It won't work, in either direction, because of different alignment rules.
> >
> >            regards, tom lane
> >

> --
> *Benjamin Arai*
> barai@cs.ucr.edu <emailto:barai@cs.ucr.edu>
> http://www.benjaminarai.com

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

From
Benjamin Arai
Date:
I thought you said that it would not work in either direction?

Date:
Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> writes:
> Is there a way to transfer data between the two architectures?

Sure: pg_dump.  But you can't just move the physical database files,
any more than you could do across completely different architectures.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

From
Benjamin Arai
Date:
Oh, great.  Thanks.

Tom Lane wrote:
Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> writes:
Is there a way to transfer data between the two architectures?
Sure: pg_dump.  But you can't just move the physical database files,
any more than you could do across completely different architectures.
		regards, tom lane

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Tom Lane schrieb:
> Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> writes:
>
>>Is there a way to transfer data between the two architectures?
>

> Sure: pg_dump.  But you can't just move the physical database files,
> any more than you could do across completely different architectures.

Hehe, x-mas time ;) He said "dumping" and "restoring" on initial post.
I was wondering too as you said it would not work.

Regards
Tino

Re: Restoring 64 to x86

Date:
Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de> writes:
> Hehe, x-mas time ;) He said "dumping" and "restoring" on initial post.
> I was wondering too as you said it would not work.

I assumed he was hoping to take a shortcut, but maybe I was overthinking
the question ...

            regards, tom lane