Graphical modelling tool

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Hi,
I'm about to start a new project where the first task is to design a
database. I'm looking for some tool that will allow me to model the
tables and relationships graphically, UML or similar, and then let me
generate the SQL with PostgreSQL flavor. What's the best tools out
there? Are there any open source alternatives?

Kind regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Graphical modelling tool

From
John McCawley
Date:
I wrote a little app that does basically what you're looking for:

http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner/

It's not professional quality, and is a little flaky, but it gets the
job done.  It has a wxGTK dependency, and of course postgres.  Your best
bet for running it is to pull it from my CVS server (instructions on
page) rather than trying the binaries etc.

Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm about to start a new project where the first task is to design a
> database. I'm looking for some tool that will allow me to model the
> tables and relationships graphically, UML or similar, and then let me
> generate the SQL with PostgreSQL flavor. What's the best tools out
> there? Are there any open source alternatives?
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas Hallgren

>       match

Re: Graphical modelling tool

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> I'm about to start a new project where the first task is to design a
> database. I'm looking for some tool that will allow me to model the tables
> and relationships graphically, UML or similar, and then let me generate the
> SQL with PostgreSQL flavor. What's the best tools out there? Are there any
> open source alternatives?

Thomas,

   This will do some of what you want:

                    <http://pydbdesigner.sourceforge.net/>

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"

Re: Graphical modelling tool

From
Carlos Correia
Date:

Re: Graphical modelling tool

From
"Mikael Carneholm"
Date:
I recommend Clay (http://www.azzurri.jp/en/software/clay/index.jsp).

It requires a JRE + Eclipse (as it is an eclipse plugin), but it is really nice to work with and has built-in support
forPostgreSQL DDL generation.

/Mikael

Re: Graphical modelling tool

From
Luca Pireddu
Date:
On Tuesday 06 December 2005 12:58, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm about to start a new project where the first task is to design a
> database. I'm looking for some tool that will allow me to model the
> tables and relationships graphically, UML or similar, and then let me
> generate the SQL with PostgreSQL flavor. What's the best tools out
> there? Are there any open source alternatives?
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas Hallgren

You can try Dia with tedia2sql

Luca

Re: Graphical modelling tool

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Carlos Correia wrote on 06.12.2005 21:13:

> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> | Hi,
> | I'm about to start a new project where the first task is to design a
> | database. I'm looking for some tool that will allow me to model the
> | tables and relationships graphically, UML or similar, and then let me
> | generate the SQL with PostgreSQL flavor. What's the best tools out
> | there? Are there any open source alternatives?
> |
> | Kind regards,
> | Thomas Hallgren
> |

> | ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> | TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> |       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> |       match
> |

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps, you'll like this one:
> http://www.memoriapersistente.pt/en/opensource/gaudi/index.html
>
> Regards,

I tried to run this (under Windows) but after selecting the database I
always get the following exception:

         at
com.m16e.free.tools.xgui.XGuiFactory.readLayout(XGuiFactory.java:1152)
         at com.m16e.dbed.DbEditor.showFrame(DbEditor.java:254)
         at com.m16e.dbed.DbEditor.main(DbEditor.java:400)
Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for
base name i18n/xgui-locale, locale de_DE
         at
java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:839)
         at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:808)
         at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:552)
         at
com.m16e.free.tools.i18n.MpBundle.setBundleFile(MpBundle.java:35)
         at com.m16e.free.tools.xgui.XGuiBundle.<init>(XGuiBundle.java:62)
         at com.m16e.free.tools.xgui.XGuiBundle.<clinit>(XGuiBundle.java:57)
         ... 3 more

I fiddled around with the locale settings in dbeditor.properties but to
no avail. I even created a file i18n/xgui-locale.properties (and one
xgui-locale_de.properties) but to no avail.

What am I missing here?

Regards
Thomas

Date:

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
| Carlos Correia wrote on 06.12.2005 21:13:

|> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
|> | Hi,
|> | I'm about to start a new project where the first task is to design a
|> | database. I'm looking for some tool that will allow me to model the
|> | tables and relationships graphically, UML or similar, and then let me
|> | generate the SQL with PostgreSQL flavor. What's the best tools out
|> | there? Are there any open source alternatives?
|> |
|> | Kind regards,
|> | Thomas Hallgren
|> |
|> |
|> | ---------------------------(end of
|> broadcast)---------------------------
|> | TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
|> |       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
|> |       match
|> |

|> Hi,
|>
|> Perhaps, you'll like this one:
|> http://www.memoriapersistente.pt/en/opensource/gaudi/index.html
|>
|> Regards,
|>

| I tried to run this (under Windows) but after selecting the database I
| always get the following exception:
|
| Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
|         at
| com.m16e.free.tools.xgui.XGuiFactory.readLayout(XGuiFactory.java:1152)
|         at com.m16e.dbed.DbEditor.showFrame(DbEditor.java:254)
|         at com.m16e.dbed.DbEditor.main(DbEditor.java:400)
| Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for
| base name i18n/xgui-locale, locale de_DE
|         at

java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:839)

|         at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:808)
|         at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:552)
|         at
| com.m16e.free.tools.i18n.MpBundle.setBundleFile(MpBundle.java:35)
|         at com.m16e.free.tools.xgui.XGuiBundle.<init>(XGuiBundle.java:62)
|         at
com.m16e.free.tools.xgui.XGuiBundle.<clinit>(XGuiBundle.java:57)
|         ... 3 more
|

| I fiddled around with the locale settings in dbeditor.properties but to
| no avail. I even created a file i18n/xgui-locale.properties (and one
| xgui-locale_de.properties) but to no avail.
|
| What am I missing here?
|
| Regards
| Thomas
|

| ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
| TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

It is really missing that file (i18n/xgui-locale.properties) from the
tarball, my apologies for that.

Just create one with the following 2 lines:

msg-null-file-layout=Unknown layout file: {0}\!
msg-file-not-found=Error opening file: {0}\!

Most probably, next you will get another error, stating that tha program
could not find a layout file, because of CLASSPATH issues.

If that's the case, I suggest you send a post to Gaudí's mailing list
(http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gaudi-users) and continue
the thread in there.

Just one tip: it seems you have not installed the application in the
default directory, if that's the case you should look in the manual for
configuration setup.

Regards,

Carlos
- --
MEMÓRIA PERSISTENTE, Lda.
Tel.: 219 291 591 - GSM:  967 511 762
e-mail: geral@m16e.com - URL: http://www.m16e.com
AIM: m16e - ICQ: 257488263 - Jabber: m16e@amessage.de
Skype.com username (VoIP): m16e.com

Re: Graphical modelling tool

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Thank you for all good suggestions. Clay will probably be my choice for this project since
it indeed is an Eclipse plugin that is developed.

Thanks again,
Thomas Hallgren