postgresql jdbc connect via hostname instead of just ip

From
Jonathan Schreiter
Date:
Hi all,
I'm a bit new to postgresql.  I've been able to
configure the database and the jdbc interface
successfully.  I interface via PAM (krb5) and that
works OK in the pg_hba.conf file. I've added the -i
option to the postmaster startup script service (using
binary RPMs on Fedora Core 4) for tcp connections
(default port 5432).

The only way I can connect to the database via JDBC
seems to be by IP address (both locally and on another
system allowed by the pg_hba.conf file).

jdbc:postgresql://theipaddressofdatabaseserver/mydatabase

I'd like to be able to connect to the database this
way using a DNS name / computer host name.  The
specific error I recieve is on the lines of no route
to host.

I'm sure I'm just missing a simple setting somewhere.

pg_hba.conf
host mydatabase all 127.0.0.1/32 pam
host mydatabase all theipsubnet/24 pam

Many thanks,
Jonathan

Re: postgresql jdbc connect via hostname instead of just ip

From
Douglas McNaught
Date:
Jonathan Schreiter <jonathanschreiter@yahoo.com> writes:

> The only way I can connect to the database via JDBC
> seems to be by IP address (both locally and on another
> system allowed by the pg_hba.conf file).
>
> jdbc:postgresql://theipaddressofdatabaseserver/mydatabase
>
> I'd like to be able to connect to the database this
> way using a DNS name / computer host name.  The
> specific error I recieve is on the lines of no route
> to host.

This implies that the IP address in DNS or /etc/hosts is different
from the IP address you're using in the URL.  It's almost certainly
not a Postgres misconfiguration.  What happens when you do

telnet server.host.name 5432

on the JDBC client machine?

-Doug

Creating then dropping primary key constraint

From
Havasvölgyi Ottó
Date:
Hi,

I noticed that when I create a primary key with ALTER TABLE ... ADD
CONSTRAINT ... PRIMARY KEY (...),
and then drop this constraint, then the "not null" modifier stays on the
column on which the primary key was defined although there were no
constraint on that column before.
Is this normal?
Pg 8.0.4

create table pritest(id integer);
\d pritest
alter table pritest add constraint pk_pritest primary key (id);
\d pritest
alter table pritest drop constraint pk_pritest;
\d pritest
drop table pritest;

Best regards,
Otto

Re: postgresql jdbc connect via hostname instead of just ip

From
Jonathan Schreiter
Date:
Thanks for the help - it was a dns resolving issue
after all as you described.

Jonathan

--- Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:

> Jonathan Schreiter <jonathanschreiter@yahoo.com>
> writes:
>
> > The only way I can connect to the database via
> JDBC
> > seems to be by IP address (both locally and on
> another
> > system allowed by the pg_hba.conf file).

jdbc:postgresql://theipaddressofdatabaseserver/mydatabase

> > I'd like to be able to connect to the database
> this
> > way using a DNS name / computer host name.  The
> > specific error I recieve is on the lines of no
> route
> > to host.
>
> This implies that the IP address in DNS or
> /etc/hosts is different
> from the IP address you're using in the URL.  It's
> almost certainly
> not a Postgres misconfiguration.  What happens when
> you do
>
> telnet server.host.name 5432
>
> on the JDBC client machine?
>
> -Doug

Some rare questions

From
Havasvölgyi Ottó
Date:
Hi,

I am writing a driver for PostgreSQL, and I need some rare info:

How can I query the collation/locale of the database cluster?

What can be the maximal length of the indexed part of the string. So I have
a text field, and I create an index on it. How long can be one index key max
in this case?

How deep can be the subquery nesting?

How long can be the index key?

What is maximal number of compare operations for a single query?

What is maximal length of a query text (characters) ?

What is maximal length of a row (bytes) ?

What is the maximal length of char/varchar/text ?

What operations cannot be rolled back with Rollback ?

Thanks in advance,
Otto

Re: Some rare questions

Date:
The answers to these are either "unlimited" or mentioned in the FAQ.