Does PG Support Unicode on Windows?

From
CSN
Date:
Is there any truth to what this guy is saying?

> > On the other hand, Postgresql claims that "Windows
does not support
> > Unicode" and you can't have Unicode fields on
postgresql on Windows.

http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/faq/FAQ_windows.html

> What do you mean "a big mistake"? By Microsoft? Or
PostgreSQL?

> > The "Big mistake" is in the Postgresql FAQ in
saying that Windows
> > doesn't support Unicode. XP supports Unicode very
well indeed.
> > The FAQ I referenced prattles on  about Slovenian
code pages,
> > of all things.  Windows "Code pages" have been
superseded by
> > Unicode. If you go to http://msdn.microsoft.com
and search
> > for "Unicode" you get an eyeful.
> >
> > Having defended the undefendable, however, I'd
like to know if
> > postgresql really still doesn't support Unicode on
windows, as
> > I plan to develop on WindowsXP and deploy on
Linux.

> > Warren Seltzer

Thread here:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/3690#new

csn

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: Does PG Support Unicode on Windows?

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Nov 17, 2005, at 10:12 , CSN wrote:

> Is there any truth to what this guy is saying?

[cut hard-to-read quotes regarding support for UTF8 in PostgreSQL on
Windows]

According to the release notes for 8.1:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
----
* Allow the UTF8 encoding to work on Windows (Magnus)
This is done by mapping UTF8 to the Windows-native UTF16 implementation.
----

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Does PG Support Unicode on Windows?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Is there any truth to what this guy is saying?

Yes, some. But not much.

> > > On the other hand, Postgresql claims that "Windows
> does not support
> > > Unicode" and you can't have Unicode fields on
> postgresql on Windows.
> > > This is a big mistake. See:
> > >
> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/faq/FAQ_windows.html
> > >
> > What do you mean "a big mistake"? By Microsoft? Or
> PostgreSQL?

We claim it doesn't support UTF8, and that is true. The misconception is in that PostgreSQL used to call UTF8
"UNICODE",with no discinctino. Windows suåpports UTF-16/UCCS-2.

That siad, we need to update the FAQ, because in 8.1 we *do* support unicode (UTF8) on win32. I'll go ahead and do that
:)

//Magnus