Updated: partitioning functions

From
"Mikael Carneholm"
Date:
Hi,

don't know if someone noticed my previous post, but here's now an updated version of the script (see attachment)

Comments welcome.

/Mikael

Attachment

Re: Updated: partitioning functions

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 18:37 +0100, Mikael Carneholm wrote:

> don't know if someone noticed my previous post, but here's now an updated version of the script (see attachment)
>
> Comments welcome.

This looks like a good set of examples of how to set up custom partition
management.

Not sure whether a generic approach is that useful though, but maybe it
could be a tech docs paper?

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Date:
>This looks like a good set of examples of how to set up custom partition
>management.

>Not sure whether a generic approach is that useful though, but maybe it
>could be a tech docs paper?

I was mainly into creating a single function that could set up insert/update rules/functions for a parent table, but
hadso much fun doing it that I ended up with those other functions as well. The version on my disk also has
"range_partition_cluster_all","range_partition_recluster_all", and "range_partition_analyze_all" functions, and I'm
currentlyfooling around with "redefine" functions (init, begin, finish) to further ease partitioning. I'll tell you
what,I created partitions to hold data for years 2001-2006 complete with update/insert rules (72 child tables) in what
wasit, 15 seconds? and am now in the middle of populating it with 30 million rows of real data for some interesting
performancetests. As soon as the data is inserted, I'll index, cluster and analyze all 72 tables using three lines of
code.I'll tell you, partitioning is NOT that easy in the other DBs I've worked with...
:)

/Mikael