Duplicate Row Removal

From
"Peter Atkins"
Date:
All,

I have a duplicate row problem and to make matters worse some tables
don't have a PK or any unique identifier. See below:

uid | cleanval | timestamp  | received
-----+-------+------------+----------
  38 |     5 | 1125081799 |        1
  38 |    14 | 1122683252 |        0
  38 |     5 | 1125081799 |        1
  38 |    14 | 1122683252 |        0

I was hoping to have a system oid for each row but it looks like that's
not the case. Anyone have any thoughts on how to remove dups? I have
about 40 tables of various sizes.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Duplicate Row Removal

Date:
"Peter Atkins" <patkins@directpartners.com> writes:
> I was hoping to have a system oid for each row but it looks like that's
> not the case. Anyone have any thoughts on how to remove dups?

ctid always works ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Duplicate Row Removal

From
"Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)"
Date:
CREATE TABLE new_name AS SELECT DISTINCT * FROM old_name;

DROP TABLE old_name;

ALTER TABLE new_name RENAME TO old_name;

On 2005-11-04 17:15, Peter Atkins wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a duplicate row problem and to make matters worse some tables don't have a PK or any unique identifier.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on how to remove dups?

Re: Duplicate Row Removal

From
Berend Tober
Date:
Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:

> CREATE TABLE new_name AS SELECT DISTINCT * FROM old_name;
>
> DROP TABLE old_name;
>
> ALTER TABLE new_name RENAME TO old_name;

The problem with this technique is that it doesn't account for indexes,
foreign key references, and other dependencies.

Another approach is to temporarily add an integer column, populate it
with sequential values, and then use that new column to uniquely
identify the rows that are otherwise duplicates. Then you can use
aggregation to identify and delete the rows you don't need, followed by
dropping the temporary extra column. HTH.

-- BMT