Postgresql connection on suse 10

From
Michal Hlavac
Date:
hello,

I installed PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on Suse 10 (x86_64).

Firewall is down.

telnet localhost 5432 result:

xxxxx:/var # telnet localhost 5432
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

but telnet ip_address 5432 result:

xxxxx: # telnet 158.195.xx.xx 5432
Trying 158.195.xx.xx...
telnet: connect to address 158.195.xx.xx: Connection refused

Why I cannot connect to ip address??????
I tried to add line to pg_hba.conf, then restart, but no change...

thanks, miso

Re: Postgresql connection on suse 10

From
Leonel Nunez
Date:
Michal Hlavac wrote:

>hello,
>
>I installed PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on Suse 10 (x86_64).
>
>Firewall is down.
>
>telnet localhost 5432 result:
>
>xxxxx:/var # telnet localhost 5432
>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>Connected to localhost.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>
>but telnet ip_address 5432 result:
>
>xxxxx: # telnet 158.195.xx.xx 5432
>Trying 158.195.xx.xx...
>telnet: connect to address 158.195.xx.xx: Connection refused
>
>Why I cannot connect to ip address??????
>I tried to add line to pg_hba.conf, then restart, but no change...
>
>thanks, miso

>TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

edit  your  postgresql.conf   and
set the   listen_address   variable  to  your needs

leonel

Re: Postgresql connection on suse 10

From
Douglas McNaught
Date:
Michal Hlavac <hlavki@hlavki.sk> writes:

> but telnet ip_address 5432 result:
>
> xxxxx: # telnet 158.195.xx.xx 5432
> Trying 158.195.xx.xx...
> telnet: connect to address 158.195.xx.xx: Connection refused
>
> Why I cannot connect to ip address??????
> I tried to add line to pg_hba.conf, then restart, but no change...

Edit the "listen_addresses" parameter in postgresql.conf, then
restart.

-Doug

Date:
Leonel Nunez wrote:
> edit  your  postgresql.conf   and set the   listen_address   variable
> to  your needs

thanks Leonel,

it is possible to setup subnet mask for postgresql through listen_address??

thanks, miso

Re: Postgresql connection on suse 10

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Michal Hlavac <hlavki@hlavki.sk> schrieb:

> Leonel Nunez wrote:
> > edit  your  postgresql.conf   and set the   listen_address   variable
> > to  your needs
>
> thanks Leonel,
>
> it is possible to setup subnet mask for postgresql through listen_address??

Yes, of course, in CIDR-Notation.

HTH, Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)