function example?

From
Matthew Peter
Date:
Could someone help me and give me a basic example of
how to write a similiar functional function to the one
below that would use a dynamic table and update a
column only if it held a value.

I've been reading around and can't seem to find the
answer I'm looking for. I just need a simple examle to
build upon. I would rather not use plpgsql if
possible. Tom mentioned the other pl's don't need
EXECUTE or something like that and would prefer clean
syntax if possible.

Thanks a bunch

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION updatefoo(tbl
varchar, data  mydata, myid bigint) RETURNS
boolean AS $$
DECLARE
BEGIN
    update ${tbl} set
    f1 = mydata.f1
    IF mydata.f2 IS NOT NULL THEN
        ,f2 = mydata.f2
    END IF;
    WHERE id  = myid;

     IF NOT FOUND THEN
         return false;
     END IF;
     return true;
END
$$ LANGUAGE ?;

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: function example?

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  29.10.2005, um 20:39:23 -0700 mailte Matthew Peter folgendes:
> Could someone help me and give me a basic example of
> how to write a similiar functional function to the one
> below that would use a dynamic table and update a
> column only if it held a value.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN

HTH, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47212,      D1: 0160/7141639

Re: function example?

From
Matthew Peter
Date:
Thanks I did read that when looking into EXECUTE,
which I'd rather not use. As I said,  I would rather
not use plpgsql if possible.

All I want to do is 1) pass in some variables, 2)
reference them, and 3) have a working query which 4)
supports SELECTs, and lastly 5) isn't plpgsql but
pg_native syntax.

--- "A. Kretschmer"