Integration with MS Sql Server

From
J B
Date:
Guys,

We have an in-house application that absolutely has to run against MS
Sql Server.  We also have an application that doesn't, but that needs
to integrate with that MSSQL database.

I'm considering any options, including using application code as an
integration point. I'd prefer to somehow mirror the MS SQL db in
PostgreSQL, but not sure if that's possible.

Anyone been faced with a similar situation? If so, how'd you resolve it?

Thank you!

John

Re: Integration with MS Sql Server

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
Using SQL*Server, and OLEDB or ODBC data source can be connected as a
linked server.  Then, TSQL queries can go against PostgreSQL tables as
though they were ordinary SQL*Server tables (but they have 4 part names
instead of 3 part names).

It is a lot easier to go the other way around (where the PostgreSQL
server is mirrored inside of the SQL*Server via linked server).

> Anyone been faced with a similar situation? If so, how'd you resolve
it?

Here is a commercial solution we wrote:
http://www.connx.com/products/change-data-capture/DataSync.asp

I am sure that there are lots of other alternatives.

Date:
On 10/3/05, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> Using SQL*Server, and OLEDB or ODBC data source can be connected as a
> linked server.  Then, TSQL queries can go against PostgreSQL tables as
> though they were ordinary SQL*Server tables (but they have 4 part names
> instead of 3 part names).

Unfortunately, mirroring PostgreSQL within MS SQL Server is not an
option in our case...we need to do it the other way around.
Interesting info nonetheless...thanks.

Is there no other way?

John

Re: Integration with MS Sql Server

From
Sean Davis
Date:
On 10/3/05 7:41 PM, "J B" <jbwellsiv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/05, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
>> Using SQL*Server, and OLEDB or ODBC data source can be connected as a
>> linked server.  Then, TSQL queries can go against PostgreSQL tables as
>> though they were ordinary SQL*Server tables (but they have 4 part names
>> instead of 3 part names).
>
> Unfortunately, mirroring PostgreSQL within MS SQL Server is not an
> option in our case...we need to do it the other way around.
> Interesting info nonetheless...thanks.
>
> Is there no other way?

I'm sorry, but I missed the original post, but have you looked at DBI-Link?

http://www.pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link
http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/postgresql/tidbits_June05.asp

Sean