insertion becoming slow

From
"surabhi.ahuja"
Date:
 is it some logging information that is being written into some file at the end of some transactions
(each intsall is one transaction for me)

the data directory is containing these folders..

base/    pg_clog/     pg_ident.conf  pg_subtrans/  PG_VERSION  postgresql.conf  postmaster.pid
global/  pg_hba.conf  pg_log/        pg_tblspc/    pg_xlog/    postmaster.opts
it seems that some info is going into pg_xlog,
is that taking time ....?

thanks
regards
Surabhi Ahuja

Re: insertion becoming slow

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 03:09:43PM +0530, surabhi.ahuja wrote:
>  is it some logging information that is being written into some file at the end of some transactions
> (each intsall is one transaction for me)
>
> the data directory is containing these folders..
>
> base/    pg_clog/     pg_ident.conf  pg_subtrans/  PG_VERSION  postgresql.conf  postmaster.pid
> global/  pg_hba.conf  pg_log/        pg_tblspc/    pg_xlog/    postmaster.opts
>
> it seems that some info is going into pg_xlog,
> is that taking time ....?

Read up on the WAL:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/wal.html