Win32 Backup and Restore of large databases.

From
Howard Cole
Date:
On a Win32 machine, can I backup a database if the backup file exceeds
2GB? In linux, I can split the backup file into multiple files. Can this
be done on Win32?

Regards

Howard Cole
www.selestial.com

Re: Win32 Backup and Restore of large databases.

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
Howard Cole wrote:

> On a Win32 machine, can I backup a database if the backup file exceeds
> 2GB? In linux, I can split the backup file into multiple files. Can
> this be done on Win32?
>
> Regards
>
> Howard Cole
> www.selestial.com

I am not sure, but I thought the max file size on NT and up systems was
4gb, not 2gb.  Also newer versions of Linux should not have the 2gb
limitation.(that was a limit imposed on the 2.x kernel)
This of course does not mean that the Postgresql code was ever updated
to allow larger files.
--

Tony Caduto
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: Win32 Backup and Restore of large databases.

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
At 12:24 PM 9/21/2005 +0100, Howard Cole wrote:

>On a Win32 machine, can I backup a database if the backup file exceeds
>2GB? In linux, I can split the backup file into multiple files. Can this
>be done on Win32?

Max file size depends on file system used.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

Careful if you are using a network file system (e.g. cifs/smbfs or nfs).
The max would then depend on the protocol, the relevant file systems
involved and other limitations.

Of course you can split the backup file into multiple files on win32.

In fact, some Win32 systems made it a bit too easy to do. Typically your
backup file will be split to multiple files with names like FILEnnnn.CHK
(nnnn being zero padded numbers). You may find the original files split too.

;)

Link.

Date:
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> At 12:24 PM 9/21/2005 +0100, Howard Cole wrote:
>
>> On a Win32 machine, can I backup a database if the backup file
>> exceeds 2GB? In linux, I can split the backup file into multiple
>> files. Can this be done on Win32?
>
> Of course you can split the backup file into multiple files on win32.

I would be very grateful if you could tell me what compression utilities
you used. Perhaps with an example of the command lines used to dump and
restore the
database.

Thanks

Howard Cole.