FAQ/Documentation about Postgresql on Windows XP

From
cooneyb@socket.net
Date:
Hello everyone,
I have been looking for a tutorial on setting up Postgresql on a Windows
XP machine.  I'm currently doing development on my home machine.
Eventually we'll have Postgresql on a Windows server, but we want to try
out and test code on a local machine before going live.

I've found some tutorials about using Postgresql in the Cygwin emulation,
but we want to run Postgresql natively.  I need to use some of the forms
and reporting functions in the EMS PostgreSQL manager.

Can anyone point me to some tutorials or documentation that can help me
figure out how to set up and use Postgresql on a local, stand alone,
Windows XP machine?

Thanks in Advance,
Adam

Re: FAQ/Documentation about Postgresql on Windows XP

From
Sebastian Hennebrueder
Date:
Hello,

you could try to install the Windows version. It has a setup.exe
I did not come across a tutorial for clicking on a setup.exe but as I
see the demand now, I will think over it.

;-)

Sebastian
PS: Cygwin is not needed any more since version 8 of PostgreSQL

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder

----

http://www.laliluna.de

Tutorials for JSP, JavaServer Faces, Struts, Hibernate and EJB

Get support, education and consulting for these technologies -
uncomplicated and cheap.

Re: FAQ/Documentation about Postgresql on Windows XP

Date:
cooneyb@socket.net wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have been looking for a tutorial on setting up Postgresql on a Windows
> XP machine.  I'm currently doing development on my home machine.
> Eventually we'll have Postgresql on a Windows server, but we want to try
> out and test code on a local machine before going live.
>
> I've found some tutorials about using Postgresql in the Cygwin emulation,
> but we want to run Postgresql natively.  I need to use some of the forms
> and reporting functions in the EMS PostgreSQL manager.
>
> Can anyone point me to some tutorials or documentation that can help me
> figure out how to set up and use Postgresql on a local, stand alone,
> Windows XP machine?

Look at doc/FAQ_MINGW and you can look at the pginstaller FAQ too.