boolean default value

From
"Michael Schmidt"
Date:
I've not been able to find anything on this in the groups or by Google.  I have a table with several boolean columns, all not null and with either 'true' or 'false' as default values.  I've been testing the system in pgAdmin III.  When I insert a new record, all the boolean columns are set 'false', including the ones I have set the default value as 'true'.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Michael Schmidt

Re: boolean default value

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 03:31:17PM -0600, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> I've not been able to find anything on this in the groups or by
> Google.  I have a table with several boolean columns, all not null and
> with either 'true' or 'false' as default values.  I've been testing the
> system in pgAdmin III.  When I insert a new record, all the boolean
> columns are set 'false', including the ones I have set the default value
> as 'true'.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Works fine here with psql in every version I tested (7.2.8, 7.3.10,
7.4.8, 8.0.3, 8.1beta1):

CREATE TABLE foo (
    i   integer NOT NULL,
    bt  boolean NOT NULL DEFAULT TRUE,
    bf  boolean NOT NULL DEFAULT FALSE
);

INSERT INTO foo (i) VALUES (1);

SELECT * FROM foo;
 i | bt | bf
---+----+----
 1 | t  | f
(1 row)

Have you tried with psql instead of pgAdmin III?  If you see the
problem with psql then please post a self-contained example (and
state what version of PostgreSQL you're using).

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: boolean default value

From
"Michael Schmidt"
Date:
Mr. Fuhr,
Thanks for your quick response.  In fact, the problem doesn't occur in psql or in EMS PostgreSQL Manager.  It appears unique to pgAdmin III.  In the future, I'll check such things with psql before asking a (potentially dumb) question.  Again, thanks!

Michael Schmidt