createlang

From
eoghan
Date:
Hello
Im trying to load plpgsql into my test db... Im wondering if theres a
way to check if its loaded... I do:
test-# createlang plpgsql test
test-#
When i try load an example function:
test-# \i test.sql
Im getting:
psql:test.sql:5: ERROR:  language "plpgsql" does not exist
HINT:  You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the
database.
Anyone any hints for me?
Thanks
Eoghan

Re: createlang

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
eoghan wrote:
> Hello
> Im trying to load plpgsql into my test db... Im wondering if theres a
> way to check if its loaded... I do:
> test-# createlang plpgsql test

createlang is a command line client:

bash# createlang -U postgres -P 5432 plpgsql database

What you are looking for is:

CREATE LANGUAGE.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: createlang

From
James Cradock
Date:
Exit the psql prompt. Type the same command:

createlang plpgsql test

Then access your db:

psql test

And load your script:

\i test.sql

On Aug 15, 2005, at 4:45 PM, eoghan wrote:

> Hello
> Im trying to load plpgsql into my test db... Im wondering if theres a
> way to check if its loaded... I do:
> test-# createlang plpgsql test
> test-#
> When i try load an example function:
> test-# \i test.sql
> Im getting:
> psql:test.sql:5: ERROR:  language "plpgsql" does not exist
> HINT:  You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the
> database.
> Anyone any hints for me?
> Thanks
> Eoghan
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>       match

-----
James Cradock, jcradock@me3.com

Re: createlang

From
James Cradock
Almost forgot:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/app-createlang.html

I hope this and the prior reply help.

On Aug 15, 2005, at 4:45 PM, eoghan wrote:

> Hello
> Im trying to load plpgsql into my test db... Im wondering if theres a
> way to check if its loaded... I do:
> test-# createlang plpgsql test
> test-#
> When i try load an example function:
> test-# \i test.sql
> Im getting:
> psql:test.sql:5: ERROR:  language "plpgsql" does not exist
> HINT:  You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the
> database.
> Anyone any hints for me?
> Thanks
> Eoghan
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>       match

-----
James Cradock, jcradock@me3.com

me3 Technology Consultants, LLC
24 Preble Street, 2nd Floor
Portland, ME 04101

207-772-3217 (office)
207-838-8678 (mobile)

www.me3.com

Re: createlang

From
eoghan
Date:
On 15 Aug 2005, at 21:58, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> eoghan wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> Im trying to load plpgsql into my test db... Im wondering if
>> theres a  way to check if its loaded... I do:
>> test-# createlang plpgsql test
>>

> createlang is a command line client:
>
> bash# createlang -U postgres -P 5432 plpgsql database
>
> What you are looking for is:
>
> CREATE LANGUAGE.

Thanks Joshua,
I was using createlang from the command line...
eoghan-js-Computer:~ postgres$ /opt/local/bin/psql test  -U postgres
<etc>
test=# createlang plpgsql test

Or if loading .sql do you need the CREATE LANGUAGE in here?
Im new to this...
Thanks for you help
Eoghan

Re: createlang

From
Sean Davis
Date:
On 8/15/05 4:45 PM, "eoghan" <postgres@redry.net> wrote:

> Hello
> Im trying to load plpgsql into my test db... Im wondering if theres a
> way to check if its loaded... I do:
> test-# createlang plpgsql test
> test-#
> When i try load an example function:
> test-# \i test.sql
> Im getting:
> psql:test.sql:5: ERROR:  language "plpgsql" does not exist
> HINT:  You need to use "createlang" to load the language into the
> database.

You need to run creatlang from the command line (outside the database).
Here is the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/app-createlang.html

Sean

Re: createlang

From
eoghan
Date:
On 15 Aug 2005, at 22:03, James Cradock wrote:

> Almost forgot:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/app-createlang.html
>
> I hope this and the prior reply help.
>
> On Aug 15, 2005, at 4:45 PM, eoghan wrote:

Hi James
Thanks! That got it...
Exit psql prompt and ran createlang...
Suppose seems obvious to me now :)