Postgresql Hosting

From
Richard Sydney-Smith
Date:
I have asked my internet host to include postgresql as part of their
service but it seems that there are issues in getting it to work with
"cpanel" which is their support service for their clients. Is their a
reason why Postgresql is harder to host than mysql? Is their any docs I
can point the server admin to that would help him?

If not what service providers are people recommending?

thanks

Richard

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Emilian Ursu

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Richard Sydney-Smith wrote:

> I have asked my internet host to include postgresql as part of their
> service but it seems that there are issues in getting it to work with
> "cpanel" which is their support service for their clients. Is their a
> reason why Postgresql is harder to hostthan mysql? Is their any docs I
> can point the server admin to that would help him?
>
> If not what service providers are people recommending?
>
> thanks
>
> Richard

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

If you're talking about cpanel.net then postgresql is supported by
default.

Emilian Ursu
http://www.emuadmin.com

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Aug 4, 2005, at 10:28 PM, Richard Sydney-Smith wrote:

> I have asked my internet host to include postgresql as part of
> their service but it seems that there are issues in getting it to
> work with "cpanel" which is their support service for their
> clients. Is their a reason why Postgresql is harder to host than
> mysql? Is their any docs I can point the server admin to that would
> help him?
>
> If not what service providers are people recommending?

I'm a satisfied customer of http://www.a2hosting.com. They use
cpanel, so I'm not sure what the problem is. And the only thing you
use cpanel for is to create users and databases. Otherwise you use
phpPgAdmin (or psql if your account has shell access).

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Richard Sydney-Smith
Date:
Thanks ,

Would seem there is no problem eith cpanel + postgresql.

thanks for the link to a2hosting I will look them up.

John DeSoi wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2005, at 10:28 PM, Richard Sydney-Smith wrote:
>
>> I have asked my internet host to include postgresql as part of  their
>> service but it seems that there are issues in getting it to  work
>> with "cpanel" which is their support service for their  clients. Is
>> their a reason why Postgresql is harder to host than  mysql? Is their
>> any docs I can point the server admin to that would  help him?
>>
>> If not what service providers are people recommending?
>

> I'm a satisfied customer of http://www.a2hosting.com. They use
> cpanel, so I'm not sure what the problem is. And the only thing you
> use cpanel for is to create users and databases. Otherwise you use
> phpPgAdmin (or psql if your account has shell access).
>

> John DeSoi, Ph.D.
> http://pgedit.com/
> Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 8/4/2005 10:28 PM, Richard Sydney-Smith wrote:
> I have asked my internet host to include postgresql as part of their
> service but it seems that there are issues in getting it to work with
> "cpanel" which is their support service for their clients. Is their a
> reason why Postgresql is harder to host than mysql? Is their any docs I
> can point the server admin to that would help him?
>
> If not what service providers are people recommending?

http://cwihosting.com/

Apache with Frontpage extensions (if you want them), PHP, PostgreSQL and
ssh access including crontab support. Having pl/pgsql added to template1
was done in no time. I only had to put a binary cvs executable there so
that I can develop somewhere else and deploy the changes via cvs update.

Jan

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> http://cwihosting.com/
>
> Apache with Frontpage extensions (if you want them), PHP, PostgreSQL and
> ssh access including crontab support. Having pl/pgsql added to template1
> was done in no time. I only had to put a binary cvs executable there so
> that I can develop somewhere else and deploy the changes via cvs update.

If you need business class hosting I suggest Command Prompt (I work for
them). Our hosting is PostgreSQL only so...

http://www.commandprompt.com/

There is also Hub.org if you want FreeBSD/PostgreSQL hosting.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Jan

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> http://cwihosting.com/
>>
>> Apache with Frontpage extensions (if you want them), PHP, PostgreSQL and
>> ssh access including crontab support. Having pl/pgsql added to template1
>> was done in no time. I only had to put a binary cvs executable there so
>> that I can develop somewhere else and deploy the changes via cvs update.
>
> If you need business class hosting I suggest Command Prompt (I work for
> them). Our hosting is PostgreSQL only so...
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/
>
> There is also Hub.org if you want FreeBSD/PostgreSQL hosting.

http://www.hub.org/standard_features.php

We host *everything* that nobody else wants to ... and give you full root
access to add more if you need ...

----

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Randall Perry
Date:
We offer Postgresql hosting with phpPgAdmin on Mac Dual G5 Xserve servers:
    http://www.systame.com/html/macwebhosting/

--
Randall Perry
sysTame

Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location/Leasing
QuickTime Streaming
Mac Consulting/Sales

http://www.systame.com/

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Various people wrote:
>>> ...PostgreSQL...crontab support...pl/pgsql

I've found that with if you can get 5 companies/users to share a
dedicated server you can be much better off than a hosting plan,
and have full control over the services you run.

I'm sharing with 5 other small businesses a dedicated server with 60GB
hard drive, 700GB monthly bandwidth on a 10Mbps link for $49/month.

This works out to $10/month for each us for 10GB hard drive
and 100GB transfer (quotas we set for ourselves with some
overhead for the OS).

So far I haven't seen any hosted plan offering anything
competitive with that.

The best part is that we can run whatever we want.  I
needed postgis; so I ran a separate postgresql install for
a while on a different port until it was stable before
upgrading the rest of the guys.  One of the guys had
wierder needs, so he ran his own user-mode linux.

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Matthew Terenzio
Date:
On Sep 9, 2005, at 7:21 PM, Ron Mayer wrote:

> I've found that with if you can get 5 companies/users to share a
> dedicated server you can be much better off than a hosting plan,
> and have full control over the services you run.

I'm sure the numbers work out, but it sounds like being in a Band.
Granted, companies and geeks aren't as flaky as Bass players, but you
still probably have to pick good people to partner with or else it ends
up being a big headache and sometimes even a wallet drain.

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Matthew Terenzio
Date:
On Sep 9, 2005, at 8:02 PM, Matthew Terenzio wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

>>> I'm sure the numbers work out, but it sounds like being in a Band.
>>> Granted, companies and geeks aren't as flaky as Bass players, but you
>>> still probably have to pick good people to partner with or else it
>>> ends
>>> up being a big headache and sometimes even a wallet drain.
>>
>> Otherwise, somebody's tone deaf boyfriend or girlfriend will want to
>> sing (i.e. sysadmin)...  And then it's just a downward spiral from
>> there.

Exactly, or maybe someone decides they want to cover some cheesy pop
song (MS FrontPage extensions) and then your on stage with your pants
down.

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 16:21:42 -0700,
  Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:

> I've found that with if you can get 5 companies/users to share a
> dedicated server you can be much better off than a hosting plan,
> and have full control over the services you run.
>
> I'm sharing with 5 other small businesses a dedicated server with 60GB
> hard drive, 700GB monthly bandwidth on a 10Mbps link for $49/month.
>
> This works out to $10/month for each us for 10GB hard drive
> and 100GB transfer (quotas we set for ourselves with some
> overhead for the OS).
>
> So far I haven't seen any hosted plan offering anything
> competitive with that.

This seems penny wise and pound foolish. The cost of the remote hosting is
going to be swamped by whatever you are paying somneone to keep an eye on it.
The savings for sharing the host, aren't going to make up for any hassels
involved in sharing the host.

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>This seems penny wise and pound foolish. The cost of the remote hosting is
>going to be swamped by whatever you are paying somneone to keep an eye on it.
>The savings for sharing the host, aren't going to make up for any hassels
>involved in sharing the host.

That depends, if they went with a Managed service it would work
well but then again a managed service is going to be at least 200 bucks
a month.

Personally I think that a lot of people look at hosting the wrong way. It
is one thing if you are just hosting some of your kids photos or a personal
website to use as a Soap Box.

If you are running a business you should be using a business class service.
A business class service costs more than 49.00 a month (unless it is
shared).
A business class service would never allow you to have only one hard
drive (and thus no redundancy).

At least if you are doing normal shared hosting at 49.00 bucks a month you
can reasonably expect that you are sitting on some level of RAID, that
backups
are being done, root kit checks etc...

Yes I am biased because we sell such as service but we are not the only
ones out there that do it and we started the service after watching so
many people making such a horrible mistake with their revenue source.

Sincerely,

Josua D. Drake

>TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
brew@theMode.com
Date:
> I'm sharing with 5 other small businesses a dedicated server with 60GB
> hard drive, 700GB monthly bandwidth on a 10Mbps link for $49/month.

Where is this available?

The web host that I do programming for pays around $120 a month for a
Debian machine with an AMD Athlon 2200 Processor, 1GB Memory, an 80 GB
Hard Drive, 2000 GB Bandwidth at serverbeach.com. But it's not backedup,
etc.  If the machine fails, they'll reload the operating system and turn
it back over to us to get going again.  I keep it backed up with rsync to
other machines - which means if it does fail I'm in for an unscheduled few
days of restoration.

It's definitely much faster than the shared hosting we have other websites
on.  Both of the websites in my sig below are on it, both use postgreSQL
(but they are really small databases - the biggest table is around 10,000
rows).

I'm just wondering what $49/month buys?

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com
     and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Philip Hallstrom
Date:
>> I'm sharing with 5 other small businesses a dedicated server with 60GB
>> hard drive, 700GB monthly bandwidth on a 10Mbps link for $49/month.
>
> Where is this available?

Not quite that package and I've never used them (thinking about it), but
layeredtech.com has this as their cheapest:

. Intel Celeron 2.0GHz
. 80GB IDE Hard Drive
. 512MB RAM
. Bandwidth: 1000GB
. IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable)
. Private VLAN
. Basic Resource Monitoring
. FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Windows*
. 100% Self Managed and Dedicated
Monthly Fee Options:
. $65 | $19 Setup

(backup is extra...)

If you click on their gaming server section (why they call it that I don't
know) there's some 1gb, 36gb scsi configs for $90ish.

Totally unmanaged, etc.. yadda yadda....

Re: Postgresql Hosting

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
brew@theMode.com wrote:
>>I'm sharing with 5 other small businesses a dedicated server with 60GB
>>hard drive, 700GB monthly bandwidth on a 10Mbps link for $49/month.
>
> Where is this available?

server4you.net offers such a system today (they claim to be the largest
dedicated server host with 6500 dedicated servers and hundreds of
thousands of shared servers); and I've seen ev1.net offer similar
packages for the same price before.

> The web host that I do programming for pays around $120 a month for a
> Debian machine with an AMD Athlon 2200 Processor, 1GB Memory, an 80 GB
> Hard Drive, 2000 GB Bandwidth at serverbeach.com. But it's not backedup,
> etc.  If the machine fails, they'll reload the operating system and turn
> it back over to us to get going again.  I keep it backed up with rsync to
> other machines - which means if it does fail I'm in for an unscheduled few
> days of restoration.

We've got pretty much the same backup strategy.  Our hosting place does
offer backup services too for an additional fee; but we feel better having
the backup in our own facilities.    Though now we're drifting pretty far
off topic so I'd happily continue discussing via email.