Trigger Variables

From
Oluwatope Akinniyi
Date:
I must commend the efforts of the developers and users of PostgreSQL for
new innovations and development. Thank you for giving us such a
wonderful DB.

I really was impressed with the set of Trigger variables that make
internal workings of trigger accessible to users. Of note is an easier
way of performing audits.

If I may ask, would it not be possible to add another advancement to the
world's open source most advanced database. I wish we could make
auditing semi-automatic. I was thinking of adding a parameter to CREATE
TABLE command to specify if an audit process would be added to the new
table on creation or not; just like the serial parameter would handle
the processes of sequence setup.

Thank you all.

Tope Akinniyi
ShepherdHill Software
Lagos, Nigeria.

Re: Trigger Variables

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 12:03:03PM +0100, Oluwatope Akinniyi wrote:
> If I may ask, would it not be possible to add another advancement to the
> world's open source most advanced database. I wish we could make
> auditing semi-automatic. I was thinking of adding a parameter to CREATE
> TABLE command to specify if an audit process would be added to the new
> table on creation or not; just like the serial parameter would handle
> the processes of sequence setup.

"SERIAL" is a pseudo-type.

But I don't understand what you're asking. Perhaps you could give an
example of the syntax you would like and what exactly you would like it
to do. Your description above is not enough for me to give an
opinion...

Have a nice day,