Changing password for the postgres user?

From
Bjørn T Johansen
Date:
I am trying to change the password for the postgres user but it doesn't work... I
have tried changing it from pgAdmin, EMS PostgreSQL Manager, etc but whatever
password I set, I still can log in without using password.... (And it seems that no
sql code is run on the server)

What am i missing?

Regards,

BTJ

Bjørn T Johansen

btj@havleik.no
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:

Re: Changing password for the postgres user?

From
Gavin Love
Date:
Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> I am trying to change the password for the postgres user but it doesn't work... I
> have tried changing it from pgAdmin, EMS PostgreSQL Manager, etc but whatever
> password I set, I still can log in without using password.... (And it seems that no
> sql code is run on the server)
>
> What am i missing?

Have you checked your pg_hba.conf ?

It will be set to trust most likely which means the user doesn't need a
password change it to crypt or password or md5 depending on your needs.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/client-authentication.html#EXAMPLE-PG-HBA.CONF

Gavin

Re: Changing password for the postgres user?

From
Douglas McNaught
Date:
Bjørn T Johansen <btj@havleik.no> writes:

> I am trying to change the password for the postgres user but it
> doesn't work... I have tried changing it from pgAdmin, EMS
> PostgreSQL Manager, etc but whatever password I set, I still can log
> in without using password.... (And it seems that no sql code is run
> on the server)
>
> What am i missing?

Editing pg_hba.conf?

-Doug

Re: Changing password for the postgres user?

From
Bjørn T Johansen
Date:
Aaahh, of course.... I forgot about the trust settings I have there...

BTJ