plpython error since upgrading from 7.x to 8.x

From
CSN
Date:
I had a plpythonu function that worked in 7.x but
since upgrading to 8.x it's giving this error:

ERROR:  plpython: function "notify" failed
DETAIL:  exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable object

plpythonu IS installed in the database in which I'm
trying to use the function. Any idea what the problem
is?

Thanks,
CSN

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: plpython error since upgrading from 7.x to 8.x

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:04:22AM -0700, CSN wrote:

> I had a plpythonu function that worked in 7.x but
> since upgrading to 8.x it's giving this error:
>
> ERROR:  plpython: function "notify" failed
> DETAIL:  exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable object

Could you post a simple, self-contained example that exhibits this
problem?  Debugging would be easier if we could see what you're doing.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: plpython error since upgrading from 7.x to 8.x

From
CSN
Date:
It happens when I try to insert rows:

insert into table1 (col1, col2, col3) values (val1,
val2, val3);

I have an insert/update trigger on that table, and the
plpythonu function just sends a notification email.
Here's the function:

if TD["new"]["active"] != TD["old"]["active"]:

    import smtplib
    import string

    fromaddr = "admin@mydomain.com"
    toaddr  = "admin@yourdomain.com"

    if TD["new"]["active"] == 1:

        msg = "From: %s\r\nTo: %s\r\nSubject:
Approved\r\n\r\n" % (fromaddr, toaddr)

        msg = msg + """Greetings,
"""

    else:
        msg = "From: %s\r\nTo: %s\r\nSubject: New
Record\r\n\r\n" % (fromaddr, toaddr)

        msg = msg + """Greetings,
"""

    server = smtplib.SMTP("localhost")
    server.set_debuglevel(1)
    server.sendmail(fromaddr, toaddr, msg)
    server.quit()

#####################

I also recently switched to Dbmail, so maybe that
caused a problem (but mail works fine with everything
else).

CSN

--- Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 02:04:22AM -0700, CSN wrote:
> >
> > I had a plpythonu function that worked in 7.x but
> > since upgrading to 8.x it's giving this error:
> >
> > ERROR:  plpython: function "notify" failed
> > DETAIL:  exceptions.TypeError: unsubscriptable
> object
>
> Could you post a simple, self-contained example that
> exhibits this
> problem?  Debugging would be easier if we could see
> what you're doing.
>
> --
> Michael Fuhr
> http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail

Date:
On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 12:02:22PM -0700, CSN wrote:

> It happens when I try to insert rows:
>
> insert into table1 (col1, col2, col3) values (val1,
> val2, val3);
>
> I have an insert/update trigger on that table, and the
> plpythonu function just sends a notification email.
> Here's the function:
>

> if TD["new"]["active"] != TD["old"]["active"]:

Without a complete, self-contained example that succeeds in one
version of PostgreSQL and fails in another, we still have to guess
at what's going on.  By "complete, self-contained example" I mean
a sequence of SQL statements that anybody could load into an empty
database and get the same results that you get.  When putting
together such an example, it's a good idea to reduce it as much as
possible, i.e., keep removing things until you can't possibly make
the example smaller and still get the behavior in question.  Aside
from making it easier for others to focus on the problem, sometimes
the act of reducing the problem can help you find the problem on
your own.

My first guess would be that you're getting an error because when
the event is INSERT, TD["old"] is None and thus unsubscriptable.
But if that's the case then I'm not sure why the version of PostgreSQL
would matter, and without seeing a complete example I'm not convinced
that it does.  Do you still get the error if you check if TD["event"]
is "UPDATE" before trying to use TD["old"]?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: plpython error since upgrading from 7.x to 8.x

From
CSN
Date:
Ah, you're right. The function appears to only cause
an error on inserts and not updates. Thanks for
pointing that out (I'm really green at Python).