reporting solution for postgresql

From
Dino Vliet
Date:
Hi folks,

Maybe a little bit off topic, but I want to convince
my managers of the value of opensource products and
decided that I will reverse engineer the datawarehouse
at my company. We are a small player and our
datawarehouse solution is based on an ETL tool from
Informatica, Oracle and Business Objects.

I have already written the most ETL defenitions in
Ruby. So I will manage to get the data in the
postgresql database, in a star schema.

However, to convince management I need a slick,
opensource reporting tool to show the reports that
already have been defined in Business Objects. Or I
should try to use Business Objects through ODBC.

Can anyone tell me about his/her findings in a similar
approach?
What decent but opensource Query tools exist today
which can support this architecture (web based OR a
client-server), where the clients MUST be windows 2000
because that's what they use at the office.

Thanks in advance and hope I will get some good
feedback (as I always do from this excellent list)

Brgds
Dino

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: reporting solution for postgresql

From
Aly Dharshi
Date:
Hello Dino,

    I think that there is something called openrpt http://www.openrpt.com/ have you
looked at this ?

    Cheers,

    Aly.

Dino Vliet wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Maybe a little bit off topic, but I want to convince
> my managers of the value of opensource products and
> decided that I will reverse engineer the datawarehouse
> at my company. We are a small player and our
> datawarehouse solution is based on an ETL tool from
> Informatica, Oracle and Business Objects.
>
> I have already written the most ETL defenitions in
> Ruby. So I will manage to get the data in the
> postgresql database, in a star schema.
>
> However, to convince management I need a slick,
> opensource reporting tool to show the reports that
> already have been defined in Business Objects. Or I
> should try to use Business Objects through ODBC.
>
> Can anyone tell me about his/her findings in a similar
> approach?
> What decent but opensource Query tools exist today
> which can support this architecture (web based OR a
> client-server), where the clients MUST be windows 2000
> because that's what they use at the office.
>
> Thanks in advance and hope I will get some good
> feedback (as I always do from this excellent list)
>
> Brgds
> Dino

Aly Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

     "A good speech is like a good dress
      that's short enough to be interesting
      and long enough to cover the subject"

Re: reporting solution for postgresql

From
Listas Evandro (Não use este endereço para mensagens pessoais)

Is very good and free

> Maybe a little bit off topic, but I want to convince
> my managers of the value of opensource products and
> decided that I will reverse engineer the datawarehouse
> at my company. We are a small player and our
> datawarehouse solution is based on an ETL tool from
> Informatica, Oracle and Business Objects.
>
> I have already written the most ETL defenitions in
> Ruby. So I will manage to get the data in the
> postgresql database, in a star schema.
>
> However, to convince management I need a slick,
> opensource reporting tool to show the reports that
> already have been defined in Business Objects. Or I
> should try to use Business Objects through ODBC.
>
> Can anyone tell me about his/her findings in a similar
> approach?
> What decent but opensource Query tools exist today
> which can support this architecture (web based OR a
> client-server), where the clients MUST be windows 2000
> because that's what they use at the office.
>
> Thanks in advance and hope I will get some good
> feedback (as I always do from this excellent list)
>
> Brgds
> Dino

Aly Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

        "A good speech is like a good dress
         that's short enough to be interesting
         and long enough to cover the subject"

Re: reporting solution for postgresql

From
Geoffrey
Date:
Listas Evandro (Não use este endereço para mensagens pessoais) wrote:
> Try http://www.agata.org.br/us/index.php
>  Is very good and free

We looked at agata, but I have a real problem with the following
installation instructions on the agata page:

rpm -i --force <package>

That's not something I care to do (--force) in a production environment,
particularily with 9 different rpms.  There's no telling what else you
might break.

Further, we could not get it to build on RHWS 4, which is our
development environment.

Limited documentation is available in English, which may or may not be a
problem with others on the list.

--
Until later, Geoffrey