Encoding problem

From
fritz-bayer@web.de (Fritz Bayer)
Date:
Hi,

when I enter the following SELECT into psql

select * from mytable where data like '%ü%'

I get a selection of a couple of rows.

The problem is that alls the "ü" characters get displayed as "<FC>".

Why is that so?

fritz

BTW: I set client encoding to latin1 and the database stores data in
utf8 and
I'm running postgresql under the following system: PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on
i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.95.4

Re: Encoding problem

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Fritz Bayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I enter the following SELECT into psql
> select * from mytable where data like '%ü%'
> I get a selection of a couple of rows.
> The problem is that alls the "ü" characters get displayed as "<FC>".
>
> Why is that so?

Probably something in your terminal setup. I always have endless trouble
with accented characters on the different systems I use.

> fritz
>
> BTW: I set client encoding to latin1 and the database stores data in
> utf8 and
> I'm running postgresql under the following system: PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.95.4

You should upgrade to the most recent 7.2.x version immediately, and I'd
recommend 8.0.x as soon as possible.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Encoding problem

From
Andreas Seltenreich
Date:
Fritz Bayer schrob:

> The problem is that alls the "ü" characters get displayed as "<FC>".
>
> Why is that so?

This could happen when your locale isn't properly set up. If, for
example, LC_CTYPE is set to C, your pager thinks this character isn't
printable and tries to do something smart with it. You can display the
current setup by running "locale".

Does it work when you export LC_CTYPE=de_DE before running psql?

regards,
Andreas

Date:
seltenreich@gmx.de (Andreas Seltenreich) wrote in message news:<877jixorpl.fsf@gate450.dyndns.org>...
> Fritz Bayer schrob:
>
> > The problem is that alls the "ü" characters get displayed as "<FC>".
> >
> > Why is that so?
>
> This could happen when your locale isn't properly set up. If, for
> example, LC_CTYPE is set to C, your pager thinks this character isn't
> printable and tries to do something smart with it. You can display the
> current setup by running "locale".
>
> Does it work when you export LC_CTYPE=de_DE before running psql?

I noticed that no locales have been generated and that the variable
was set to C. I created the locales for LATIN1 and ISO8859-15 and set
the variable to the value you suggested.

I tried it and now I get ü instead.

To give you more clues I checked the encoding which seems to be
UNICODE.

 show client_encoding;
NOTICE:  Current client encoding is 'UNICODE'
SHOW VARIABLE

So I tried to set it to LATIN1 using

\encoding latin1

But now I get

select * from user_requests;
ERROR:  Could not convert UTF-8 to ISO8859-1